Thread: Where's the draft of the post I just wrote?

Beans

Where's the draft of the post I just wrote?

It effectively vanished into the ether when I clicked Preview. Apparently I was logged out while I was writing it; the back button got it back, and then logging in (in a different browser tab, of course) somehow caused the repeat of the same action to disappear it permanently. But the whole time I was writing it a yellow message would inform me every few seconds that it had been saved. So how do I get it back?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Where's the draft of the post I just wrote?

at the bottom of the post should be a 'restore autosave' message

Beans

If you use Firefox, I recommend installing the Lazarus add-on. It will save texts from all forms. If you lose a posting, right-click in the composition window and choose Recover Text. Works in all forms, not just ones with autosave features like vBulletin 4.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

@Elfy: I cannot find such a thing. After intensive, protracted examination. Here's a screenshot of the area I think you're referring to (as much of it as will fit on the screen at once):

(The "Auto-Saved" notification appears approximately at the lower right-hand corner of the text entry box, which is at the upper right-hand corner of the above image.)

@SeijiSensei: Thank you, I will try it.

When I attempt to post this, the same thing happens, even though I have just verified in another tab (by reloading it) that I am logged in. It says:

(I have not actually logged in again.) Of course, I am afraid that if I reload the tab my text will disappear. So I will now select and copy it to the clipboard, and follow the instructions.

...And indeed, when I reload the page I get an earlier version of this post in the text entry box, with an image placeholder in place of the screenshot... But now there is another element at the bottom of the text entry box:

I restore the clipboard contents and attempt again to post this.

And I get the error message again. This time I will wait for the "Auto-Saved" notification to appear again, then reload, then click "Restore Auto-Saved Content"...

Which does restore all of my text, but not the screenshots. I'll attempt to post this, then try to re-post with the screenshots.

But I can't post it anyway.

So I open the thread again in a new tab, paste the post into the window from the clipboard, and click the "Post Quick Reply" button again, as fast as I can.

It seems to have worked the second time (the first time I got this message:

). But there are no screenshots in the posted version, so I'm now editing them back in.

ETA: Okay WHERE ARE MY SCREENSHOTS
    Last edited by QIII; October 6th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans

Well, there must be some perfectly reasonable explanation for the disappearance of my screenshots from the posted version of my post (as well as all the other weirdness). In any case, the second screenshot
    contains the error message:

Errors
    The following errors occurred with your submission

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.
    Please reload the window.

The third one showed the words "Restore Auto-Saved Content" in red on a rounded white rectangle at the lower left-hand corner of the text entry box (superimposed on the grey border). And the fourth one
    showed a dialog box asserting:

This page is asking you to confirm that you want to leave - data you have entered may not be saved.

Meta: I never knew this forum was censored. Interesting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There are language filters and moderators that edit.

How are you attempting to attach your images?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks like the op is trying to drag and drop images in Firefox, which is a known FIrefox bug. I'd suggest he either use an image hosting service, or use the attachment facility available in the advanced editor.

The forum does have a censored word list, as we have users of all ages, this is a family friendly forum
    Last edited by cariboo; October 6th, 2013 at 02:16 AM.