Thread: On Logon to Ubuntu, desktop icon's don't show up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

On Logon to Ubuntu, desktop icon's don't show up

I am running Ubuntu 13.04 on a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop.

When I log onto Ubuntu, my desktop icon's don't show up. The screen with either show no icons on the desktop or sometimes it actually doesn't update at all and I still have the login/password box and screen still showing (although I can move to the left margin and cause the selection bar to show up).

I can fix the problem by bring up Nautilus (the "Files" utility), and when I do, the screen updates and I can close files down and everything is fine from that point on. Don't see the problem showing up in the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: On Logon to Ubuntu, desktop icon's don't show up

Still happens, I reboot the system, I get to the logon screen, I log on, it "looks" like I'm still on the sign-on (to ubuntu) screen but I can get unity (autohide) to pop up. When I click on nautilus the desktop redraws and the normal (for me) desktop icons come up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Unhappy Re: On Logon to Ubuntu, desktop icon's don't show up

Here is a picture of the screen. I made the Unity bar come up just to show that it's really beyond login. If I click on the Nautilus icon on the Unity bar, it resolves itself. Works pretty well otherwise. I've been using it for a while and this problem sort of cropped up a few weeks ago (I think).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: On Logon to Ubuntu, desktop icon's don't show up

Hi jervin2, sorry this response came so late, hopefully you were able to solve this issue. I was running into this problem running the Cinnemon desktop. What seemed to fix it for me was to turn on some of the default desktop widgets. Presumably, when these get added it causes something to get kicked off that shows the desktop.

Menu | System Settings (Control Center -- there are two you want the Cinnemon settings) | Desktop | Show a computer icon + Show a home icon + Show the trash

(maybe other combinations of the above work too.) Hope that helps someone. (Including myself, after I've forgotten how to do this and have to Google for it again.)