Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Auto Updates

Can you specify how long a Ubuntu machine is on line before the auto update (if there are any) window pops up? A family member uses their machine mainly to check email and do a bit surfing and they never see the Update window (they are running 12.04). It would ideal if the update window popped up two or three minutes after establishing a connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Auto Updates

A window doesn't pop up, the updater appears in the Unity bar, with the number of updates in.
    Just set it to check for updates everyday, using synaptic / software sources / updates.
    12.04 is now 17 months old though & quite stable, so updates may only come through once a week or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update Manager usually starts running a check within a couple of minutes after booting in.
    Then usually does periodic rechecks every so often, depending on how long you've been on-line.
    like stated before 12.04 is old and quite stble at this point.
    You should be getting few updates, mainly for updates to browsers, email clients, and new kernel versions.
    You can go several weeks on 12.04 without an update.

If it truly becomes bothersome, click the "check" button and run the update manually.

The update manager will also tell you the last time it checked for updates when you launch it.
    (It's in the top banner section of the Update-Manager)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Is there a way to get a pop up window appear on the Desktop at the same time, or instead of, the icon appearing in the launcher bar? In this real world test people are not noticing/seeing the launcher bar icon so not getting updates.
    Last edited by Quarkrad; October 5th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

bump

Beans
    Distro

I believe one of the issues is when a user has their launcher configured as auto-hide (as I have done for many friends/family with laptops) - they do not notice something like the updater icon in the hidden launcher. I have asked people to look out for it but it is not happening. That is why a pop up window on the Desktop (as per 9.04 onwards days) would be much better for this type of user.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The problem with a pop up window, is that you have to be sat in front of your screen to see it. If you go & make a cup of tea & come back the pop up window will have gone as any notifications are set to disappear after so many seconds.
    Surely if the Unity icon thing is such a problem, then just get into the habit of checking for updates every week or so, its only a couple of mouse clicks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Users don't want a window suddenly popping up and interrupting what they were doing. This isn't Windows XP.

Go into Software Sources and set it to "Check for updated automatically" and then they will recieve a notification when updates are found. If they are not confident computer users, though, probably best to set Software Sources to automatically install security updates.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

I'm trying to simulate this in Virtualbox - how do know these updates are happening in thr background? Also, what happens if you shut down part way through an install of the downloads? I'm thinking of when there is an install of a new linux image - would shutting down part way through cause any issues? (Be interested to see the evidence of users not wanting pop up windows for something as important as security updates - where is it?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quarkrad, updates are not installed automatically, it only "checks" for updates, & then warns you in the Unity bar that there are updates available. It is then upto the user to click the icon & install them. So shutting down half way through an install wouldn't happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast