Thread: Want Menu Option on top to view All properties and options

Hybrid View

Beans

Want Menu Option on top to view All properties and options

Hi All

I have now installed Ubunu 13 on my PC and I see that UI is not so friendly as it was in Ubuntu 8.04. Can you tell me how can I change settings to view the all options on top bar.
    For ex. if I install Kdevelop in ubuntu 8.04., I can see it under menu->Programming.

Also, the close,minimize button are coming on left hnad side, I want it to be on right.

Please help.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Want Menu Option on top to view All properties and options

Are you using Ubuntu or Kubuntu. It is my understanding that applications that have a name begining with K are usually KDE applications. I may be wrong on this but it got be wondering if you are using Kubuntu and not Ubuntu. The information in this thread may or may not help you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

If you are using Ubuntu you can press Super+A and that will open the Dash at the Applications lens. In the top right you can click to filter results and there you will see some kind of menu that will filter the applications on offer by certain categories, one of which is Developer.

The above will not apply if you are using Kubuntu. Oh, I find the Ubuntu UI very friendly, much better than 8.04. Friendliness is not the issue but personal taste is.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

This applies to an Ubuntu install, don't know about doing this on Kubuntu.

If you want a desktop that looks like ubuntu 8.04 you can install the classic desktop.

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    And choose your desktop at boot (login) by clicking on the icon in the login window.

This is for 12.04, but I think it will still apply to 13.04

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks#Move_Minimize.2BAC8-Maximize.2BAC8-Close_Buttons

Last edited by ibjsb4; October 3rd, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Beans

My advice would be don't be so quick to dismiss because it's different.
    Hit the windows key, type help in the dash a spend some time learning.
    In my opinion,using the launcher and typing to find apps is better than a popup menu....

...but if that's what you want you can install a classic menu indicator from this ppa...
    https://launchpad.net/~diesch/+archive/testing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stinkeye; October 4th, 2013 at 03:18 AM.