Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xubuntu Install....Booting issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu Install....Booting issue

Boot from the install CD, when it gets to 'Try' 'Install' etc, hit F6. Choose 'nomodset'. Continue to 'Try'. Did that work? If so, we can make that change permanent on the hard drive install.

Beans

mastablasta/all,
    For my future troubleshooting knowledge, how did you know that the Video card was the issue from the lshw result?

Also how does Knoppix boot up...Is the requirements for the distros different?..Can I somehow change some settings in X-windows/system to make it work......I am asking these questions for knowledge reasons only.

Most of my video cards I have laying around, unfortunately, are much older than I would like to use....If I have to upgrade the video card it may be better for me to buy a new motherboard.....but while I am on the subject.....

If I was to pick up another motherboard (most likely used) which one would you all suggest.... The only requirements I would have is I would like to use the Athlon 2200+ CPU (AXDA2200DKV3C) and I would like to use the memory (PC133 133Mhz 64Mx64 168 Pins Unbuffered, Non-ECC, Non-Registered 3.3V CL 3) that I have laying around. Also It would be nice if a Ethernet and a video card that works with Linux/Ubuntu was part of the package but the network card could be optional.....Suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the help so far,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Before investing money please try a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04.

The SIS cards are a well-known problem for the latest Buntus. There are workarounds, but let's first see how 12.04 behaves.

Nouveau drivers mentioned in an above post are irrelevant, as they are only for Nvidia cards.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Before investing money please try a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04.

The SIS cards are a well-known problem for the latest Buntus. There are workarounds, but let's first see how 12.04 behaves.

Nouveau drivers mentioned in an above post are irrelevant, as they are only for Nvidia cards.
    +1 to all of this. You say you have other vid cards sitting around. Maybe try one that ISN'T the SIS. That might solve your problem. What ya got?

PS: My 'nomodset' suggestion is probably superfluous. I didn't notice the SIS.

Generally when everything seems to be working okay on install until the screen starts doing odd things ... it's graphics. And usually if it doesn't give any indication it's not via an error message to the contrary. Choosing 'nomodset', in a lot of cases, at least gets you to a desktop so you can make some permanent changes and do some troubleshooting.

In this case, it is probably the SIS, as mrgs says.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 4th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Beans

All,
    So its known the video is onboard currently.

I believe the PCI cards I have are like Trident S3 cards....but that is just a guess as I am not in front of them (old) currently....

I do have a 3dfx AGP card from years ago and a Matrox AGP card that had all the bells and whistles at the time but I am afraid they were not compatible with the motherboard. ( I believe the one card had power requirement issues but that's from memory)

I will take a look over the weekend and try a couple things out....Let you know what I find.

Thanks
    Chris

Beans

All,
    Did a fresh install of 12.04 and it came up without a problem!

I played around with it for about 20 or so minutes last night and I shut it down but just before it asked me if I would like to do the 90+ updates (I did not do the updates)....With these updates in mind will these updates, going forward, cause me any kind of issue? ( I know this may be a open ended question...previous experiences? )

What I mean is will the machine no longer work (as it did with the 13.04 install)....as things will sooner or later, I assume, be upgraded to 13.04 point?

I also recently picked up another motherboard (PC Chips) with a trade for some old hardware that will support the memory and Athlon I have laying around so now I have to make the decision upgrade this Duron machine (replace motherboard) or build another box....probably going to build another box and give this machine to my 4 year old daughter.

Anyways thanks for all the help,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by SolomonMan View Post
    What I mean is will the machine no longer work (as it did with the 13.04 install)....as things will sooner or later, I assume, be upgraded to 13.04 point?
    No. Select parts of 13.04 (and 13.10) will be backported to 12.04, but far from the entire system.

It's likely that your install will keep working after the update (and you don't really have a choice, if you want to stay secure). Try it and let us know the result.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

All,
    I will go forward with the updates sometime later this week. (crazy week)

I will let everyone know the initial results and then pop in on this thread occasionally and let you know what I find.

Thanks everyone for the help,
    Chris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Doubt you'll find anything. Updates are a normal part of Ubuntu life and, at least with an LTS release, shouldn't break anything. Rare.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 will be supported for quite some time and it is posisbel that this problem found in 13.04 will be solved in the future. it would help if you reported a but for it so someone is assigned to it or they will connect you with previously existing bugs and you can then subscribe to them and see if they get solved.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12