Thread: Red Hat certification

Beans

Red Hat certification

hello sir i just started with my linux (ubuntu) system and i want to prepare for red hat certification . .. so please give me an idea about where to start and how much times it takes . . .and i want to know which book to follow for network management, system management, storage management, system monitoring, performance tuning and virtualization in ubuntu . .please help . .thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: help

Readhat is a commercial company that sells a Linux distribution for business called Redhat. It also supports an open source, free to download Linux distribution called Fedora. You should be asking this question on a Fedora forum or checking the Redhat web site for information.

Unless, of course, to gain Redhat certification you need to prove that you can administer Ubuntu servers. I do not know about that.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Application management on RedHat-based operating systems is different from Ubuntu. Ubuntu is Debian-based and therefore uses dpkg to manage apps, and RedHat is either going to use yum or rpm. As well, you'll find that they use different names for each package sometimes.

If you're going for that certification you should learn Fedora (the free one) or RedHat (the pay one) or CentOS (The free spinoff of the pay one) so your education matches what you'll be tested over.

Beans

Also, I've noticed that CentOS/RedHat have older packages than Ubuntu. Presumably because they're more tested and more stable, I don't have enough recent experience to know about that firsthand but it's an aim of theirs. Haven't tried Fedora for over 10 years, since before it was Fedora anyway. They're probably using newer packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Please take note: There are a lot of madams on this forum, both staff and members, as well as sirs, so best to remain gender neutral. Although it might seem a cultural oddity, there is no need to address the community as 'sir'.

Good luck.

PS: You will have much more luck getting support if you use a descriptive title rather than a generic one like 'help'. Most people are here because they want help, so this tells us nothing.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 3rd, 2013 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

for red hat it would be best to looks at:
    red hat demo
    CentOS or Scientific linux (both are built from red hat source code)
    Fedora - Red Hat testing ground - basically they add and test various features that later go into Red hat linux (if you have a newer mashcine this is porbably a better way to get into red hat)
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Red Hat certification

The best place for info about Red Hat is going to be the Red Hat site, which is extensive and very good.

Red Hat sells service and support contracts for its enterprise Linux releases, much as Canonical and Suse. All their source is on their public servers. (They sold a retail desktop Linux early on, but that was a losing proposition.)

I believe a free 30-day demo is available for download, targeting RHCE learners. Doesn't time out after 30-days, but can't be updated after that.

CentOS, etc., remove the Red Hat name, trademarks, etc., rebuild the source with very few changes, and release it. Red Hat is OK with that.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, and thus, CentOS use Gnome 2.28, and Gtk 2.20, which is quite old. This isn't an issue for their usual enterprise users.

The platform is very stable. RH products have very long support lifetimes.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; October 3rd, 2013 at 05:25 PM.