Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CJK text input candidate list not showing

Hybrid View

Beans

CJK text input candidate list not showing

I have recently upgraded from 13.04 to 13.10 development branch via update-manager. While most of the things run well, but apparently the text-input system is changed in this coming release. It actually worked quite well at first, but I just screwed up the system and decided to start with a new user account, then the input system went broken. Before this I used iBus to input chinese (ibus-pinyin), however in 13.10, after entering the pinyin the candidates failed to show up.

I tried running ibus-setup but apparently that wouldn't work anymore. Just out of curiousity, has Ubuntu changed the input method framework or something? Because there seem to be no way at the moment to change the settings besides the (new?) "Region & Language" applet (there's nothing much to change anyway). I even tried playing with the settings in ibus-setup utility but doesn't seem to have any effect. And is the Language support applet being deprecated?
    Last edited by Jeffrey04; October 2nd, 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

Re: Text input candidate not showing

same problem here - actually got it going last night somebody, but can't replicate though...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried going to Language Support? That has a label that says: Keyboard Input Support. Read the mouse-over text that appears when the mouse is held over the drop down menu which has as options Default, Ibus, None,

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

played with it, doesn't seem to work :/

looks like if i can't get this working properly i would have to log a bug report :/
    Last edited by Jeffrey04; October 2nd, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: CJK text input candidate list not showing

I also had a lot of problems with ibus in 13.10. For Chinese language users, my advice is to use UbuntuKylin instead, which is a flavor of Ubuntu developed specifically for this purpose.

It seems that you have already installed Ubuntu 13.10. You can "switch" to UbuntuKylin simply by installing the following package:

apt-get install ubuntukylin-default-settings

Prior to that, you may want to remove ibus, at least to save some harddrive space.

Beans

not too interested in switching to kylin :/
    i only need to input chinese characters occasionally though, guess I can live with just google chrome input tools for now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey04 View Post
    not too interested in switching to kylin :/
    i only need to input chinese characters occasionally though, guess I can live with just google chrome input tools for now
    At the present time, it is not so much as "switching" to UbuntuKylin, but simply installing a package. Personally, like you, all I need from Ubuntu is a tool to input Chinese characters--only if life can be so simple. Before its total collapse in 13.10, IBus also has other problems, such as it doesn't work with Dash, one of the mainstays of the next generation Ubuntu. Stability, or more specifically the lack thereof, is also one of its major problems.

Short of installing the UbuntyKylin package, you may want to explore the fcitx input method, which, for me, was the main reason for "switching" to Kylin.

Beans

not sure, apparently the "Region & Language" panel is dropped after an upgrade earlier today, and the chinese input works properly again (miraculously)...
    it works for dash too

P/S: tried ibus-setup again, and it still has no effect to the apparently new input framework/stack/whatever it is called
    Last edited by Jeffrey04; October 5th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Actually I am OK with ibus in 12.04LTS (& upto 13.04). Based on my past experience, I believe the problems that I experienced in 13.10 will be solved before the official release--if no so already.

The main reason I am thinking about ditching ibus (even in 12.04 LTS), is the sogou-pinyin (搜狗拼音) input method. It is far superior to any (simplified) Chinese pinyin method I have ever used. At the present time, sogou-pinyin only works with fcitx, but not with ibus.

Beans

just found workaround to the preference problem

13.10 is still using ibus indeed. The problem with that is that the ibus-setup utility is not quite compatible to the updated ibus stack. Therefore, certain settings won't work. For instance adding a new input method (but a new IM can be added through the Text Entry applet in Settings application).

Therefore, to access the preference setup for a specific input method, just add the input method via the utility anyway. Then just change the settings for the particular input method as desired. (you may want to remove the input method from list after changing the settings)

Then in terminal, execute "ibus restart", and the new settings should be applied now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast