Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution hangs randomly when checking IMAP mail

Beans

Evolution hangs randomly when checking IMAP mail

Hi there,

my Evolution (3.8.4) kind of randomly hangs when checking for IMAP mail. I have several accounts, one of them is affected more often, but it's not the only one. All are IMAP accounts. The problem appears as follows:

• Evolution tries to check for new mail / refresh a folder
    • The connection hangs
    • Cancelling the action (in the bottom bar, clicking the red cross) does not work - Evolution changes the line to "is being cancelled" but never finishes that
    • I can't exit Evolution from now on
    • The affected account is no longer usable until I force-terminate Evolution and restart it. Other accounts work as usual.

I checked /var/log/mail.log and mail.err but there were no entries for Evolution. If there are other places I should check, please help me find them and I will post the information you need.

I'm on Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon, but before I was on Xubuntu 13.10 and the same problems occured.

Thanks ahead and kind regards,
    Christian

Edit: In addition, when killing the Evolution process from top, it takes two signals until it actually terminates. No idea if that is related.
    Last edited by christian20; April 22nd, 2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: more information on termination

Beans

Re: Evolution hangs randomly when checking IMAP mail

Doesn't help your situation much but I have had that issue in Thunderbird, Evolution, and Geery [which crashed after getting stuck]. I ended saying fooey on that and just use webmail instead of a client.

Beans

Oh I did find a client called Claws which worked well but I wasn't a fan of it's look/function.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

FWIW, I've had Evolution, as packaged for Ubuntu 14.04, crash to the desktop for no apparent/many possible reasons. This is the same behavior I experienced with Evolution on LinuxMint 16.

I've made peace with Thunderbird, which works flawlessly within its limitations. At least for me.
    regards

Beans

I've used Evolution for years.
    Most of the time it words great.
    I tried Thunderbird but it did not allow both of my Email accounts emails
    to be merged into the viewing pane like Evolution does.
    Carl
    My other hobby is antique Radios and TV restoration.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by christian20 View Post
    my Evolution (3.8.4) kind of randomly hangs when checking for IMAP mail. I have several accounts, one of them is affected more often, but it's not the only one. All are IMAP accounts. The problem appears as follows:

• Evolution tries to check for new mail / refresh a folder
    • The connection hangs
    • Cancelling the action (in the bottom bar, clicking the red cross) does not work - Evolution changes the line to "is being cancelled" but never finishes that
    • I can't exit Evolution from now on
    • The affected account is no longer usable until I force-terminate Evolution and restart it. Other accounts work as usual.

Mine is on 14.04 and version 3.10.4 and does the exact same thing. It also requires a kill -9 to close it and just hangs on every task!
    Something I can reasonably predict is that if I leave email for more than five minutes it will play up. I now have to use it and quit if I don't want it to hang.
    Very painful misbehaviour. Seeing as it's not actually crashing, would a stack trace be any use?
    Mike

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike662 View Post
    Mine is on 14.04 and version 3.10.4 and does the exact same thing. It also requires a kill -9 to close it and just hangs on every task!
    Something I can reasonably predict is that if I leave email for more than five minutes it will play up.
    Don't like to reply to my own posts but I just found this: https://syncevolution.org/blogs/pohl...on-14-released
    It says " -d, --duration=seconds/'unlimited' Shut down automatically when idle for this duration (default 300 seconds)"
    Of course this is exactly five minutes and seems to explain why it shuts down.
    Have I discovered the source of the problem or am I barking up the wrong tree? If the former, it's very easy to both work around and fix.
    Mike

EDIT: Probably barking up the wrong tree. syncevolution wasn't installed. Could there be an IMAP 300 second disconnect in evolution?
    Last edited by manicmike662; April 25th, 2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: added edit

Beans

Thanks for all your replies. Just to point out, I'm not going to change my mail client. Evolution is great and I'd like to get this fixed.

Also, as there seem to be issues with that, I do not use syncevolution, so the problem described in the first post is not related to that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That tended to happen to me when I forgot to put in some information, such as the security options or authentication type. Have you verified these to make sure you did not overlook anything and that there are no typos? (Not trying to doubt you, just saying we all do it, or at least I do.) Lol

Beans

It's all set properly. Most of the time, everything works, just sometimes Evolution hangs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast