Thread: Toshiba Sat. A100 notebook.. the 957 Updates kill the OS..? Why?..

Beans

Toshiba Sat. A100 notebook.. the 957 Updates kill the OS..? Why?..

Toshiba Satellite A100-VA7 PSAANC-VA7050.. 150gig hd, 2gig ram.. running "Ultimate Edition 3.4" (Ubuntu 12.04)...

After a fresh OS install, this computer runs reasonably good, but there are a lot of little glitches given that the new OS needs be updated.. but after the 957 updates are installed suddenly the OS is extremely slow to respond to anything on the desktop, and freezes up a lot.. so this time I'm "downloading only" the updates.. Then what?..
    I figure I should try to find which update(s) are messing up the OS in this fussy Toshiba notebook.. Does anyone know which of the 957 updates have conflicts in Ubuntu 12.04..?
    When I run Gimp, after a dozen or so pix edits, suddenly the cursor go triple, and sideways with that twin ended cursor all jumbled up with two arrow cursors.. Is this "a conflict between Ubuntu and Gimp"..? Would installing a different desktop manager fix this problem..?

What's the best way to approach this project wisely..?
    I'm guessing I should: download only the 957 updates, go into installer, try installing the updates one at a time, and test the OS after each install.. but that's sure a lot of "one at a times & reboots".. Is there a better way to approach this project..?

Is "Wine" causing any problems in Ubuntu..? Is it ok to fully uninstall "Wine" and "Ubuntu One" and "games", given that I don't play games, and once I get this computer working good, it goes to the shed where it never ever gets connected to the Net ever again.. I use it for escape leisure time away from the general hustle & bustle noise of the house, where I can do my photo editing, music editing, video editing, creative writing, and music listening, in peace and quiet seclusion...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Toshiba Sat. A100 notebook.. the 957 Updates kill the OS..? Why?..

If you believe the number of updates makes a difference you could try to install 12.04.3, where most of the updates are already incorporated. My guess is that 957 is lowered to 100.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Toshiba Sat. A100 notebook.. the 957 Updates kill the OS..? Why?..

I have a Toshiba A105 with 12.04. But have not updated it for months. I only use it when travelling, but will go update it now just to see if I have similar issues.

Often video related.
    My A105 uses Intel video and that has just worked.

I use wine for the Windows version of Picasa and have not had any issues.
    The only issue I sometimes get is with 1.5GB of RAM and the 64bit version it will turn grey for a second. Then I know I have loaded too many large apps at once and it is using swap. My normal use rarely needs swap, but with laptop I do not try to load lots of apps at once.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.