Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resetting hard drive partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Resetting hard drive partitions

I'm sure it's here somewhere but I can't find what I want to know in the searches so thought I'd start a new one.

Currently have the HD on my laptop partitioned with Vista in one and 12.04 in the made. Ran a quick check regarding how it's set up and here are the results:

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54322 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 1574MB 1573MB primary ntfs diag
    2 1574MB 76.6GB 75.0GB primary ntfs boot
    4 76.6GB 242GB 166GB extended
    5 76.6GB 239GB 163GB logical ext4
    6 239GB 242GB 3082MB logical linux-swap(v1)
    3 242GB 250GB 7779MB primary ntfs hidden

Considering upgrading the Vista to Win7, 64 bit, but don't know if there is enough space or how to reset the partitions, or even how to read that correctly, but I think I split it pretty even when I originally set it up. Don't remember if I did the initial partition effort using Vista but maybe somebody can read that and point me in the right direction for expanding/reducing. (According to one test it said that the system is workable for 64 bit Win 7 may look into changing my 12.04 to 64 bit too. Is it markedly faster in 64 over 32 or is there a special benefit going to go 64?)

I looked at it in Vista but was only given the options of extending the Vista side and removing the Ubuntu side.

Any help, written for the computer dummy, will be greatly appreciated.

ffp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Resetting hard drive partitions

64 bit can utilize more RAM, so if you have more than 3 Gig its worth installing, otherwise you will probably not see much of a performance boost. Also some new software now (at least in Windows) will only run in 64 bit. I haven't noticed this issue yet in Ubuntu though.

Also, it's generally recommended to install Win7 first (let it have the entire hard-drive), then resize the Win7 partition from within Win7. Then install Ubuntu.

Trying to install Windows after Ubuntu has been known to be problematic at best.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; October 1st, 2013 at 04:28 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Distro

I have the drive partitioned and have been using both the 12.04 and Vista (for some business needs) for some time now. The main reason to upgrade to Win7 is having lots of problems recently with Vista.

Just did some research and saw reference to gParted. Can I download that and resize the partitions in existence or do I need to do a full backup on both, do a total format and start over?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Always back up anything important before messing with partitions. Personally I find fresh clean installs take less time and are more stable than trying to modify an existing one, but that is up to you.

I would back up everything, install Win7, then immediately resize Win7 using the included Disk Management Tool (do this right away to prevent fragmentation of the partition limiting how much you can shrink the partition), and then install Ubuntu alongside Win7.

And if this is a desktop, I really prefer installing 2 separate harddrives and running Windows on one and Ubuntu on the other, its super easy to do, doesn't require messing with partitions, and has worked perfectly for me for years now.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; October 1st, 2013 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Petro Dawg's advice is both pithy and accurate. Win 7 is snooty and insufferable when it comes to owning the HDD, so attempting to upgrade from Vista with your current hybrid partitioning (because it includes Ubuntu already) will likely not only fail, but could hose your Ubuntu install altogether. No matter which method you choose, you MUST make backups first (read my signature).

Since the other options will likely end up being more trouble than they are worth, I would back up everything, nuke the HDD and install Win 7 letting it have its petulant way. Win 7 does not play nice with gparted partitions. Then follow Petro Dawg's procedure by using Win 7's tools to resize partitions, then install 12.04 as the last step. Here is a guide to doing it properly along with far more detailed explanations as to why Windows is so finicky.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Generally use Windows tools for Windows and Linux tools for Linux.
    Windows 7's default install is to two partitions. The first is a 100MB hidden boot partition with the recovery console. But it is primarily to let you encrypt the main install as the Boot partition cannot be encrypted. If you just install to the existing NTFS partition with the boot flag, it will install to that one partition. Then make a repair CD or flash drive so you have a way to repair Windows.
    In Linux your liveCD or flash drive is also an emergency repair boot system, but Linux can only repair minor Windows issues and most need a Windows repairCD. Gparted is in Ubuntu liveCD or you can download it as a spearate repairCD.

If you have installed a lot of applications and will want those also in your new install make a list with dpkg. Backup /home or create a new /home with gparted and copy all current /home into new partition if you have room.

from lovinglinux - use dpkg to list installed apps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5
    http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...selectupgrade/
    From old install
    dpkg --get-selections > ~/my-packages
    From New install
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < my-packages
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade

To move /home uses rsync- Be sure to use parameters to preserve ownership & permissions
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pa...ng/Home/Moving

http://partedmagic.com/
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Not a desktop. As it shows above it's a 250 GB in a Toshiba Sat.

You sound right as far as doing a total format, install the Win then do a quick partition and reinstall the 12.04. Probably the cleanest way to do it and I've got a new 1TB external to save the backup to. Just have to remember how to do a complete save and reinstall when done with the installation of both.

I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out what all the problems are with the Vista, set up and make full operational a new tablet, correct problems with the router and prepare for a road trip. Think I'll take a break from the electronix and go to work on the trip prep.

Will check back in later.

Thanks again for the advice.

ffp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    Not a desktop. As it shows above it's a 250 GB in a Toshiba Sat.
    Wow, you don't expect me to read your entire post, do you? I have a bad habit of skimming.

Beans
    Distro

(LOL) That's the same reason I spend so much time here trying to figure out how to do or what I did wrong. Old head injury makes it hard to read some things that are too long. Add to that my age and it's self explanatory!

I'm to the point I spend a lot of time thinking about the "here after". That has nothing to do with religion! It's when you get to the point you walk into a place then spend the next 5 minutes standing there asking yourself "What the hell am I here after?"

Beans
    Distro

Thanks oldfred, looks like you have some good practices listed there so that is what I'll do when I get back from this short road trip. Knew I bought that 1TB external the other day for a reason.

ffp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast