Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple screen while installing

Beans

Purple screen while installing

Hello everyone I apologize in advance if there is a post out there that solves my problem(s). I have read a ton before posting but can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. so here is my story

PC info:
    HP ACPI x64-based PC
    AMD Radeon HD 6410D Graphics

So I have been trying to set up a dual boot system for Win 8 and Ubuntu. I Have allocated space on my hard drive, downloaded ubuntu 13.04 (64 bit), mounted it to an 4g usb drive, and checked my download from the grub menu (said my files were good)... however every time I boot from my USB and select install ubuntu I get the ubuntu purple screen for about 7 minutes with periodic "no dvi signal" messages. It flashes back and forth several times and one of two things happens

1. no dvi signal stays on and I have to power off and boot back into windows
    2. ubuntu screen comes back with some static at the top and never gets any further

Please help... I would really like to get this working. From everything I have seen ubuntu looks like a great system but I can't get it up and running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike in Owings Mills

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Noob having issues with install

See if following the instructions on this page helps:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16207.../162076#162076

Seems like 'nomodeset' option will do the trick for you.

Also, you 'may' have to install propriatory drivers once you have completed installtion to get the right screen resolution etc.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm no expert with dual booting with Win8 but I have read on this forum many times about "nomodeset".
    Here is a link that may help:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/20717...s-nomodeset-do

Also on the purple screen the little keyboard and man icon at the bottom is for manual configuration. Have you tried to click it?
    Hope this helps, if not then someone more knowledgeable might turn up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Also on the purple screen the little keyboard and man icon at the bottom is for manual configuration. Have you tried to click it?
    Hope this helps, if not then someone more knowledgeable might turn up.
    Because if you click it you should get the options to 'Install' 'Try' (should look like the second screen in the link provided by bhattabhishek). Hit F6, choose 'nomodset', continue. Easiest way to do it.

Beans

Even on the purple screen I don't get the keyboard and man. I have seen it before but I don't see to get that far.

Anyway I will definitely try the nomodset tonight and report back. My machine is definitly doing the UEFI boot also so I am reading up on that now also.

Thanks for the info everyone ... I will let you know what I find

Beans

OK so I got the the nomodeset got me through the instail process. However at the end when it asked to restart I did and it want strait into windows boot. guess its time to start digging on that. Thanks for you help everyone

Update for future readers:

to get nomodeset on I had to edit from my grub menu (black screen with try or instal ubunutu) if you select instal ubuntu and click 'e' you can edit the boot script. where is says splash quite (or something like that) you replace it with nomodeset. Here is the link to how I did it http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mike115; October 2nd, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All good. Try boot repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

You can also install grub to sda (if it's not already) and that should fix also.

Run boot-repair. If it doesn't work, run again and create a boot-info with a link to it here. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    All good. Try boot repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

You can also install grub to sda (if it's not already) and that should fix also.

Run boot-repair. If it doesn't work, run again and create a boot-info with a link to it here. Thanks.
    Thanks for the info Bucky... I will try this as soon as I can and provide an update. I tell you having this forum is a life saver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mike115 View Post
    I tell you having this forum is a life saver
    ... and so say all of us! (Well, the majority of us, anyway. )

Beans

Great news reboot repair got me going can now dual boot ..... Thanks everyone now I just need to find some time to play

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast