Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best distro for my laptop.

Beans

Best distro for my laptop.

Hello, I'm totally new to Linux and want to try it out on my laptop. I have only ever used Windows as an OS. I mainly use my laptop for school work and browsing the net, no gaming or other entertainment really. So I'm wondering what would be a fitting distro to try out. I hear Ubuntu is really easy to use and a lot like Windows but has a bit too much bloatware. I learn things pretty quickly so it doesn't really matter to me if its not like Windows. After all I'm looking to try out something new.

Anyway, here are my laptop's specs:
    i3 370m
    6GB DDR3 RA
    640GB HDD

It's a cheap Acer Aspire 4739.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best distro for my laptop.

Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have much time, try all the distros.
    If not, try ubuntu or mint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Kubuntu uses KDE, which is somewhat more similar in appearance to Windows. I don't know why people keep talking about "bloatware". Compared to Windows, all the Linux distributions are pretty minimalist when it comes to non-useful software.

You can't go wrong with any or all of the Ubuntu family. As jeehyun said, try them all -- and Fedora and some of the other distros too. They're free, so you've got nothing to lose by exploring them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The best part is that if you download a "Live" distribution you can boot it up from CD or USB memory stick/card and try it out without installing it.
    If you go here http://releases.ubuntu.com/precise/ and scroll down the page you will find various download options.
    If your processor is 64 bit (which it probably is) select the "amd64" version.
    The ones called "Desktop" are the "Live" versions.
    I usually get the BitTorrent one, it is fast and takes about 25-30 minutes to download. You need a BitTorrent client for this option. YMMV

ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso 20-Aug-2013 18:08 708M Desktop CD for 64-bit PC (AMD64) computers (standard download)
    ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent 23-Aug-2013 20:06 28K Desktop CD for 64-bit PC (AMD64) computers (BitTorrent download)

Once I have the .iso file I use Unetbooting to create a bootable memory stick or SD card. Most of them will fit on a 1GB card.
    That saves burning a CD and is a fast and quiet way to try out a distribution. (no CD drive churning noises!)
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Enjoy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't worry about bloatware claims at this point, if ever. If there are unneeded files on your drive you don't want you can delete them. If there are unnecessary programs that run that you don't want to run, you can prevent them fron running.

Almost every Linux distribution offers a a Live installation image. What's "Live" about it is that you can burn the image onto a DVD or USB stick, boot it, and run and use it as if it was installed. I.e., check things out before making the decision to install it. (USB's boot quickly, DVD's grind away.)

This Ubuntu download page contains good instructions for burning DVD'/s and USB's: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop. They work with any file, not just Ubuntu images. (There are links to install instructions on that page which you should read before trying an install. Many distributions, including Mint, use the Ubuntu installer.

Ubuntu and the Linux Mint distribution are usually considered the easiest to to start with and use. Both are available in a number of interfaces ("desktop environments").

Do a bit of reading and looking around before jumping in.

Beans
    Distro

I'd go with different...i know someone suggested kubuntu because of it's windows like look but why not go with something different?
    Ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Completely dependent on what you want to do with your machine. Burn ISOs of them all, make install media and try them out. Whatever suits.

Beans

First there is no true best distro. The "best" will be the one that best does what you want, has what you want etc. I prefer mint 13 mate. but have used many others.
    A point to keep in mind when running a live version it will run a mite slower than the installed version. Ive run across a few older boxes that just dont like usb sticks but boot the disk fine.

various DEs available all can be installed in other distros use the one you like

As for bloat the last win 7 install i did it required something like 15 gb of drive space. the last mint install required just over 5 gb. I have an 8gb thumb drive that has a complete system installed on it that i use to check other computers.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro

As someone suggested....might be a good idea to burn a few isos of different ones, run them in "live session" which might help you decide which to install...
    Ubuntu (with the unity desktop) has a very definite "mac like" feel to it...so if you don't mind macs (or docks) you may take to it...personally, it has become my favorite...
    but try a few and see which one "floats your boat" (lol)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast