Thread: University email

Beans

University email

Hi all.

I've got some questions regarding Thunderbird and my University email. The help page for my university is rather unhelpful:

Server type: Microsoft Exchange 2003
    The University does not run a POP or IMAP server
    Server address: exfs.adir.hull.ac.uk
    (if you are a staff member and have been migrated to Exchange 2010, enter mail.hull.ac.uk)
    Connect to Exchange mailbox using HTTP: Yes
    Exchange proxy server: msstd:exfs.adir.hull.ac.uk
    Authentication: Basic
    User name: User ID@hull.ac.uk (eg. 300300@hull.ac.uk)

Password: Your campus password

http://www2.hull.ac.uk/acs/ict/mobil...erdevices.aspx

Queries are as follows:

How is it possible that an email server with around 15,000 students has neither POP nor IMAP? And how would I configure my email client (i.e. Early Bird, alpha-channel release of Thunderbird) to receive email from the University? The info I need is (for incoming AND outgoing): port number, SSL, and "authentication". I imagine the IT department will, if I email them, reply along the lines of "Oh, we don't support email clients other than Outlook. Have you tried Windows?". Obviously, that isn't an option.

Help appreciated!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: University email

Hello!

Check out the Thunderbird add-on called ExQuilla (or something like that).

I'm on my cell phone so I can't give you a link.

Best wishes.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I'm the same boat even with a dual boot . Only certain staff have access to the exchange, students and others have to use the web page login. Opera , Tbird , and the Windows client don't work and even if I had Outlook I would need permission.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I feel your pain. It has always struck me as incredibly ironic (to say nothing of hypocritical) that an institution of higher learning displays the highest level of hidebound backwardness and inflexibility when it comes to either freedom of access or choice of methodology. I suppose an argument could be made that POP is too insecure in a place brimming with youthfully exuberant mischief-makers, but IMAP should at least be available. And lest someone jumps down my throat, I am aware of the problems with phishers co-opting campus accounts to send spam or worse. But there are other ways to deal with these problems that don't require violating the spirit of openness and exploration that a University, of all places, is supposed to foster.

If experience is any guide, the actually knowledgeable tech gurus in the IT department are probably all Linux fanatics, so you may not be greeted with the drone-like response that you fear. Nonetheless, they probably won't be able to open the desired functions to you due to prohibitions from the powers-that-be.

If your institution in fact allows you to access with a client, you may wish to consider Evolution instead of T-bird. I've just posted on another thread where I say that I don't like Evolution because it is too much like Outlook, but it may be the simplest solution for you because it has Exchange functionality built in. Quirky and hard to set up, but once done, I didn't have too many problems connecting to Exchange.

Beans

I never marked this as solved, so am doing now. Exquilla does the job nicely, though it was a bit awkward to set up. Recommened to anyone else with similar issues!