Thread: ubuntu 13.04 trying to update clamav

Beans

ubuntu 13.04 trying to update clamav

trying to update clamav virus database. Downloaded new tar.gz package from clamav website but dont know how to use it. Any help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: ubuntu 13.04 trying to update clamav

Are you running an e-mail server, web server or similar? If this is just a desktop Ubuntu installation, you do not need antivirus. It just hogs system resources, adds pointless complexity, distracts time and attention away from real security measures and actually adds more services/daemons at risk for attack. As I have posted elsewhere, AV on Linux is like wearing a parachute in a submarine.

This sticky on the security subforum is an excellent security primer.

However, if you insist on using clam, the manual is here.

Beans

I know linux does not necessarily need an antivurs but I like to run it to scan windows partitions for viruses and remove them as i have other and friends computers i would like to use linux for removing and scanning for threats

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't use clam, so hopefully, a knowledgeable user could jump in here to help. However, many different threads have mentioned that clam may not be the best or most reliable for scanning. I don't know much more than such generalities because I largely lost touch with AV when I converted from Windows. Sorry that I can't be of much further help.

Beans

The installation should have included the "freshclam" utility which handles updating the database for you. If you don't have a copy of /usr/bin/freshclam, install the clamav-freshclam package.

I recommend putting a symbolic link to the freshclam binary in the /etc/cron.daily directory so the updater will run automatically each night:

Code:
    cd /etc/cron.daily
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/freshclam
    If you're really paranoid, you can put the link in /etc/cron.hourly instead.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; October 1st, 2013 at 12:24 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thank you would avg be better than clam then?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As mentioned, I'm no longer familiar enough with AV (it's like being let out of jail ). Hopefully SeijiSensei can advise. He's a server guru among other things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

From what I read in the past (which may not still be true) AVG performs better than CLAM, as in AVG catches more and has less false alarms. I use AVG as default antivirus on my XP partitions (not that I ever log into them).

I'd probably just burn the AVG rescue CD (or USB) to use to scan other peoples windows partitions. http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd-download
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; October 1st, 2013 at 05:36 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

I use ClamAV with MailScanner to scan email for attached malware and, in conjunction with SquidClamAV, to scan all downloaded objects on a gateway server I built for a client. My only problem with ClamAV is that it has a tendency to report false positives. I think this probably results from the policy of allowing anyone to upload signatures to the database. False positives eventually get weeded out, but it can take a while. (I've wondered whether some of these submissions are trolls from Microsoft-haters, as we've gotten a few hits for updates from Microsoft's own servers.) AVG, being a commercial product, is more tightly controlled. When people using Windows ask me for advice about which antivirus product to use, I generally recommend AVG. So if all you are interested in doing is scanning Windows machines for Windows malware, it's probably a better choice.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the responses. Just trying to figure out why i cant get the database to update from downloading the tar.gz package from clamav website and the instructions not helping, haha. Also any other tar ive tried to extract/convert to deb package using alien is not working says its corrupt or incomplete. Trying to install playstaion media server, avg, and clamav virus database .98(whatever the recent one is). Dont know what im doing wrong. can anyone help of point me to the correct thread please/thank you.