Thread: Intel HD audio, separate output headphones/speakers

Hybrid View

Beans

Intel HD audio, separate output headphones/speakers

Hello, I am not pretty new with linux, but previously I was always stuck at some moment with different issues, so no one linux distro could change the windows in the meaning of primary OS for me for a long time. Recently I tried ubuntu 13.04 and (surprise!) almost everything was working right after installation automatically. The only thing I cannot fix is the sound. It works. Not perfect (some glithes appear during cpu heavy load), but acceptable for me. Even skype works right after apt-get install. But every time I plug headphones, sound disappears from the speakers. Is it possible to separate headphones and speakers as sound output devices? I just want to hear my companion in the headphones, leaving all other sounds in speakers. I have intel HD soundcard integrated to MSI 440-c75 (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_14627599 &REV_1002). Please do not ask me for different configs. I just want to know the theory - is it even possible or it isn't. If yes - should I configure ALSA directly or it can be reached with editing PulseAudio configs only? Should I find somewhere a new driver for the sound? Etc, etc... If you have a good article - welcome, I didn't find anything good using google. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Intel HD audio, separate output headphones/speakers

iamgrief,

the long and short answer to your question is... it depends...

Are you on a laptop or a desktop.

If you are on a desktop you can have 2 sound cards, one on the main board, and an extra sound card, you should be able to run different applications out through different cards ~ but you'll need to look into the setting in each application.

If you are on a laptop the same thing applies, with the added dificulty that it can be difficult to add an extra soundcard. and the hardware will disconnect the 'speaker' when you plug in a headset.

Other than that it sounds like you may need to look more deeply into pulse audo or ASLA, along with playing around with your settings.

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page