Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Observatory] Daily/Weekly native commercial linux videogames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [Observatory] Daily/Weekly native commercial linux videogames

Quote Originally Posted by jockyburns View Post
    Well, I read this thread with much interest. Downloaded Steam to my computer. Had a look at the Linux Games (100 games). There's only one that's free, (Haunted Memories) so thought I'd D/L that and try, before I start buying games. All I get is a message telling me "This game is not yet available for your platform." WTF I'm running Ubuntu12.04 LTS. What am I supposed to do then?

Yeah, I know... I've already reported this issue in this exact thread... here's the link for the official discussion on steam.

There are more free linux games, even if they are not actually marked "for linux" and will not show as "free" listed; most notable example is the AAA title DOTA which you can install and play on linux for free.

The most comprensive list I've found is on http://steamdb.info/linux/ which report what games actually work, works partially and has got in list even those games which show signs of upcoming support on linux.

Anyway, let's show some Desura love too shall we? Don't forget this platform was among the first to support Linux completly!

New title is the commercial release of frogatto: http://www.desura.com/games/frogatto (in ubuntu software center you can find the original free one)
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

So, let's sum up the last week (7th to 13th).
    On steam were released about 21 videogame:

Pandemonium
    Salvation Prophecy
    Chainsaw Warrior
    Tactical Intervention
    Gas Guzzlers Extreme
    Bionic Dues
    Gravi
    Cook, Serve, Delicious!
    Escape Goat
    Legends of Eisenwald
    Farming Simulator 2013 Titanium Edition
    SNOW
    Glare
    Startopia
    Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
    Dishonored - Game of the Year Edition
    Iesabel
    Borderlands 2 Game of the Year
    The Wolf Among Us
    Soundodger+
    Nuclear Throne

all of them had native windows binary, of course) while of these only 5 had linux binaries. Two AAA titles (the one in italic) are basically a re-release... but I'll take just the raw data: so we got 21 release in which only 5 are linux.
    So to sum the past week we got a 1:4,2 ratio (for 1 linux release we got 4,2 more game for windows)

Anyway, here the actual release for the current week:

Spacebase DF-9
    Early Access, Indie, Simulation - Released: 15 Oct 2013

Tetrobot and Co.
    Casual, Indie - Released: 15 Oct 2013

Democracy 3
    Indie, Simulation, Strategy - Released: 14 Oct 2013

3 Linux title over 11 releases...which mean a ratio of 1:3,6~. I am quite confident widows will gain more terrain before the end of the week, but this is surely a good result for linux so far.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Last week (10 ~ 20 october) saw about 6 new linux title. Two of them where very 'ol dos classics.. it took about ~16 years but in the end we managed: We got (the first two in the list):

The 7th Guest
    Adventure - Released: 19 Oct 2013

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
    Adventure - Released: 17 Oct 2013

Dark Matter
    Action, Indie - Released: 17 Oct 2013

Spacebase DF-9
    Early Access, Indie, Simulation - Released: 15 Oct 2013

Tetrobot and Co.
    Casual, Indie - Released: 15 Oct 2013

Democracy 3
    Indie, Simulation, Strategy - Released: 14 Oct 2013

6 new linux games is a good results, but yet the total new release of games were 31! Which mean the current linux-windows ratio lost something... last week ratio is 1:5,2 (week before was 1:4,2)... well, we're getting far from the hoped 1:1 ratio, but it's still a good results. I hope things will chance when steamboxes and SteamOS will be released.

Beans
    Distro

This week linux releases isn't going good, just four:

Knytt Underground
    Adventure, Indie, Platformer - Released: 25 Oct 2013

Nihilumbra
    Adventure, Casual, Indie, Platformer - Released: 25 Oct 2013

Sparkle 2 Evo
    Action, Indie, Simulation - Released: 24 Oct 2013

FORCED
    Action, Indie, RPG - Released: 24 Oct 2013

while commonish releases are about 29 new titles, so the ratio it's sinking down to 1:7,25.
    It's time for an emery maneuver, time to integrate with Desura!
    Since the problem it's the lack of new titles the best way to promote linux gaming is through "voting wallet": Desura's alpha founding, kickstarter and indiegogo for those videogame project that offer linux releases. I'll start with Desura... if someone has a quick-link reference where we can find linux videogames on both kickstarter and indiegogo just share it!

my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

Anyway, here's some upcoming indie games (for linux of course) that are waiting for some alpha founding (the first one, Cornerstone, it's free)
    FREE

Cornerstone : The song of Tyrim
    Wind waker meets Dark Souls An open world, action-adventure game with an emphasis on physics and player-choice!

Elemental World Part 1: Rise Of The Guardians
    An online RPG that is being made for every player to be able to play. With lots of skills and ways to play.

Void of Darkness
    An original 2d Space Combat, Trading and Exploration game, explore, manage and expand!

Volt
    An arcade, physics-based game with a multiple puzzle elements.

NeonXSZ
    Stake your place in a war of virus verses machine! Will you protect or bring down the operating system?

Heroes of a Broken Land
    A classic turn-based RPG, with first person dungeon crawling with a large world to explore, plus town management.
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12