Thread: Lots of Q's, dev mode, installing flash, utorrent, etc.

Beans

Smile Lots of Q's, dev mode, installing flash, utorrent, etc.

Hi, I just got the Acer C7 and put Ubuntu 13.04 (crouton, cinnamon) on it. I have run into a few problems though. The first one was installing things; I went to the Adobe Flash Player website and the thing went to my downloads but I don't have an rpm unpacker or whatever. I was able to put skype on there successfully, but even from the Ubuntu apps website I choose "Launch Application" and nothing happens.

I tried entering sudo apt-get flashplugin-installer but I always get "sudo: apt-get: unknown command". Unknown command sudo, etc.

I also thought maybe getting out of dev mode would help and wanted to see if I don't have to be in dev mode for Chrubuntu to work, but now I can't get back to Chrubuntu with ctrl+alt+f2. So I have to stay in dev mode the whole time to keep chrubuntu?

So
    1. Installing stuff.
    2. Stay in dev mode?
    3. If I don't have to stay in dev mode, it really will wipe everything each and every time I enter it again right, even after I install Ubuntu?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by kyla2; September 29th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Lots of Q's, dev mode, installing flash, utorrent, etc.

Use command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    You forgot the "install" part.

For skype you need to look in the Internet group in the menu, or using dash start typing skype and it's launcher should appear in the list.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "dev mode", what are you asking about; do you mean in live system running from a DVD or USB?
    Last edited by ajgreeny; September 29th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

Developer mode...I got flash to work a few hours ago thankfully.

Beans

Yep got out of Developer mode, wiped everything including Ubuntu. Reinstalled cinammon crouton 13.04 today and now it won't let me put icons on the desktop...ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

From what I've read about Chromebooks - - you have to invoke developer mode, the Crouton app uses a chroot environment to run Linux alongside ChromeOS (not a dual-boot, no reboot required, just a hot-key switch). But, you can't go back to the regular Chromebook configuration as it restores the original clean ChromeOS, wipes out your changes, and enforces "verified-boot" again. In other words, "DON'T" press the space bar at startup - continue to run in dev mode.

See this for more info: http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-...-with-crouton/

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry about my ignorance; I didn't realise that the Acer C7 is a chromebook.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

lol no it's ok I'm the beginner. I should have said it was a chromebook. What's odd is I restarted my computer today to see if that would help move the icons, and I stayed in developer mode (did not press space bar and renable OS verification) and I got back to chrome OS where all of my chrome stuff was still there but couldn't get to chrubuntu with ctrl+alt+shift+f2. Looks like it's just gone.

Beans

Update: Fixed. Didn't know I had to use sudo startcinnamon again to get back into the program upon restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I know you said you already got flash working, but in case you haven't realized/been told yet, *.rpm aren't for Ubuntu (or any other Debian-based Linux).
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!