Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xp and ubuntu

Beans

xp and ubuntu

Hello I ran into a problem with having two hard drives. One had xp and the other unbuntu on the other.They worked fine with the gurub boot loader or whatever its callled .The xp drive started making unusual noises,so I removed the drive with xp and replaced the drive with a new seagate drive 250 gig drive. I installed xp onto the drive,but it will not boot into that drive. Is the gurub boot loader causing the problem? Can anyone give me a link to a website for anyhelpfull advice I'd sure appreaciate it.
    thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: xp and unbuntu

Run boot-repair. See my sig for links.

Beans

I get dpkg was interrupted on my pendrive.

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6169773/ I got it working on my pendrive now. I still cant boot on that drive.
    Im not sure if the link is working either,sorry.
    Last edited by mrmgee; September 29th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Please fix the link. There's an extra 'n' to be removed. That will help others to help you.

Besides that, it looks like 1 drive (sdc) is 100% linux and the other is NTFS (sdb) drive. Which do you want to boot from? That is where grub needs to be installed. There is probably a boot sector on sdb ... installing grub there should work.

I just made a new dual boot machine here and had to manually do this. Both the installer and boot-repair failed to do what I wanted. It was putting grub on the first HDD in the list ... the flash drive in my case. Of course, I had a 100% backup before starting and my Win7 machine is NOT UEFI. Also, Windows needed to spend about an hour fixing the boot and I had some fear that it wouldn't work.

Beans

Re: xp and ubuntu

I wat to boot from both The sbd drive is the problem
    ,it looks like my fresh installation is on there for xp.
    The drive does show up on my home folder.
    Last edited by mrmgee; September 29th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Beans

I would like the option of botting from either one like i did before using gurub.
    My sdb drive ,I cant get it to work at all.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, don't have time to write out the instructions now ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing should help.
    * boot from a CD or flash; be root
    * mount the root partition of the linux install somewhere safe ... /mnt is usually a good place.
    * chroot to that location ... making all your system programs available. chroot /mnt
    * run grub-install /dev/sdb - be certain to validate sdb is really the WinXP drive now (see below).

If that fails to boot, then run boot-repair - now that grub is in the correct HDD, hopefully it will add/setup all the other OSes (Win + Uubntu) to the grub menu.

After you boot, the HDD devices may have switched around, so don't blindly trust that sda, sdb and sdc are the same between boots. Check them with sudo parted -l to be positive.

Good luck. That link should have more details about doing this stuff and my overview should be enough to let you follow along.

Beans

Sorry im abit lost on what to do here . I dont know how to do those commands

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your sdb drive is not showing a MBR nor a partition like sdb1???

Did you just copy Windows from old drive onto an unformatted new drive? Windows needs to be installed as it uses the PBR or partition boot sector to boot from (as well as MBR).
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast