Thread: Why agile software development model is used by Microsoft?

Beans

Why agile software development model is used by Microsoft?

There are few models like waterfall , spiral etc ...Why agile process was adopted and why it fits the software produced by Microsoft?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Why agile software development model is used by Microsoft?

Not a support question.
    Moved to Ubuntu, Linux, and OS Chat
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lordbills View Post
    There are few models like waterfall , spiral etc ...Why agile process was adopted and why it fits the software produced by Microsoft?
    Microsoft doesn't just use one model. Different groups within microsoft use different models depending on their needs from what I understand.

It makes sense, as for the last several years they've been trying to push out more frequent feature updates. I mean look at the number of years between SQL 7 and 2000. Then along came Sql 2005, then 2008, then '12, now '14? Same thing with visual studio.

Hardware is developing at a blistering pace, the way people use computers and software changes at a blistering place. In order to keep up they can't have these 3-5 year top down programming methodologies and expect to stay in the game. They need something closer to continuous integration with regular releases. That means an Agile way of managing things.

Another big part of it - is it helps them understand their customers and their customers needs better. More and more organizations are going the agile route. If Microsoft is going to support those organizations, they can't do that without understanding what that means. The best way to have that understanding is through experience - so they do it themselves. Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs on the planet because it's developers writing tools for other developers. The people designing and creating Visual Studio know EXACTLY what developers need. It's the same concept.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@lordbills

It would help if you explained what you were talking about. I am not interested at all in what methods Microsoft uses in software development. So, I do not know what you are talking about. End of discussion, as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 13th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lordbills View Post
    Rather an odd question/discussion to bring up on a Ubuntu linux site?

Whatever process Microsoft uses would be one I would likely eliminate.