Thread: Virtualbox-dkms install error

Beans

Virtualbox-dkms install error

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.3. Whenever I want to install Virtualbox, a system error pops up when Virtualbox is installed. Virtualbox itself installed fine, but it's the virtualbox-dkms that won't install properly.
    I tried installing it with both the Software Centre and Synaptic. Same result.

Then I tried installing virtualbox-dkms via the terminal after removing it first:
    Code:
    jonas@jonas-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms Pakketlijsten worden ingelezen... Klaar
    Boom van vereisten wordt opgebouwd       
    De status informatie wordt gelezen... Klaar
    De volgende NIEUWE pakketten zullen geïnstalleerd worden:
      virtualbox-dkms
    0 pakketten opgewaardeerd, 1 pakketten nieuw geïnstalleerd, 0 te verwijderen en 0 niet opgewaardeerd.
    Er moeten 0 B/676 kB aan archieven opgehaald worden.
    Door deze operatie zal er 3.899 kB extra schijfruimte gebruikt worden.
    Selecting previously unselected package virtualbox-dkms.
    (Database inlezen ... 237176 files and directories currently installed.)
    Uitpakken van virtualbox-dkms (uit .../virtualbox-dkms_4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.3_all.deb) ...
    Instellen van virtualbox-dkms (4.1.12-dfsg-2ubuntu0.3) ...
    Loading new virtualbox-4.1.12 DKMS files...
    First Installation: checking all kernels...
    Building only for 3.8.0-31-generic
    Building initial module for 3.8.0-31-generic
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.8.0-31-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/4.1.12/build/make.log for more information.
     * Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules                                    [ OK ] 
     * Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                                            * No suitable module for running kernel found
                                                                             [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action "restart" failed.
    It seems it can't build a module for the current kernel. I'm running the default kernel, so no custom compiled one or something.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Virtualbox-dkms install error

I take it that you have the generic header files loaded and build-essentials packages?
    If, OTOH, you installed the header files using `uname -r`, then that is what is missing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I take it that you have the generic header files loaded and build-essentials packages?
    If, OTOH, you installed the header files using `uname -r`, then that is what is missing.
    Hello, sorry for the late reply: I have been busy lately.

I checked in synaptic, I currently have these packeges installed:
    • linux-headers-3.8.0-29-generic, linux-headers-3.8.0-30-generic, linux-headers-3.8.0-31-generic,linux-headers-generic-lts-raring
    • build-essential

The header files were already installed; I didn't install it with uname -r (as far as I know).
    I don't have virtualbox installed because of the errors and it doesn't work without the dkms modules.
    Last edited by JonasDeMoor; October 2nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM.

Beans

I solved it by adding a PPA which contains backports of the latest Virtualbox packages . This solves the problem: now virtualbox-dkms is able to build a module for the running kernel (3.8.*). Marked thread as SOLVED.

PPA: https://launchpad.net/~debfx/+archive/virtualbox