Are you now up and running ?

cheers
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Re: installation woes

Thanks for the reply.....

I have not installed yet as I was waiting for your thoughts on the results. I assume that you think I should install now and then deal with the display?
    Also, after I install I am thinking of removing the pc card and trying to go with the built in sis as its probably newer, etc.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jgw; October 1st, 2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: forgot something

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

jgw;

Nope, My thoughts are to get the operating system functional in the liveCD "try ubuntu" mode. Whatever it takes to get the display and other things to work in the live environment is the info needed for that actual install.

If you can not get things working in the live environment, there is no sense trying to install to hard disk.

From your last output .. I must assume that you can boot to the live environment to the GUI desktop. Yes ?
    And still need to play with the boot parameter to get a better display.
    The good news is that " configuration: driver=s3fb" says the driver is loaded.. and you are using the 2nd display port.

maybe just a bit of tweaking

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Thanks, yet again, for the reply.........

I tried to deal with the resolution in the system setup and failed (stuck on 640x480) I am going to have to try something else. how about something like video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:4096,rate:70 ?

Any commands you might think of would be of real value. I will simply try them, one after another, until something works.

If I actually do get the video right THEN I should install? After installation remove the card and try to deal with the built in stuff?

Beans

Thanks, yet again, for the reply.........

I tried to deal with the resolution in the system setup and failed (stuck on 640x480) I am going to have to try something else. how about something like video=sisfb:mode:1024x768x16,mem:4096,rate:70 ?

Any commands you might think of would be of real value. I will simply try them, one after another, until something works.

If I actually do get the video right THEN I should install? After installation remove the card and try to deal with the built in stuff?

Beans
    Distro

jgw;

What we need to know is the info provided by the "vbeinfo" command that is to be entered at the grub command line. Now, what ever settings we make for the PCI card will not translate back to the onboard graphics....If you want to use the onboard graphics -maybe it will work maybe not-; We would still have to redo the settings because the hardware is different.

Give me a bit and I will refresh my memory on getting to that grub command line. Gonna boot up the Lubuntu liveCD.

back in a bit.

we can do this.

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro

jgw;slap me on the wrist !

I stand in error, one can not get a command line interface on the liveCD grub menu ! I apologize for my misleading and confusing you, not to mention the delay factor.

OK, so go ahead and install using the boot parameter as we now know.. are you sure that your monitor supports a high refresh rate of 75 ?
    Might be safer to use a rate of 60 until we know better.

At the install boot screen f6(?) key for the boot options parameters, input the parameter on the boot parameter line.
    I suggest for older hardware install NOT to check the boxes for "install updates" or "3rd party software". Will take care of that later after the install is completed.
    That boot parameter will be persistent , however, any change we decide to make to it will be done by editing the config file "/etc/default/grub" at a later time.

IF you can install and get a usable display .. rather than "vbeinfo" at the grub boot screen .. activate a terminal and run terminal code:
    Code:
    xrandr
    to see what resolution and refresh rates are supported. (else "vbeinfo" will be used)

stepp'n lightly but getting there

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Results for xrandr are below. I also have the timing table for the console but its in jpg form and I can't post it here without some pain so I hope the results will work for you (and me!) The console, however, seems to prefer 60hz althought 1024x768 can use 70 for xga and 1152x864 can use 75hz. Sorry it took so long to respond but I had to go away for a couple of days. Oh, I ran xrandr on my other ubuntu machine. Its running with nvidia but the results shouldn't change much? When I ran xrandr on the problem machine it said that it couldn't get gamma output and the minimum/maximum size is 640x480 - perhaps I am doomed.

greg@greg-MS-7222:~$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1360 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
    VGA-0 connected 1360x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
    1024x768 60.0 +
    1360x768 60.0* 59.8
    1152x864 60.0
    800x600 72.2 60.3 56.2
    680x384 119.9 119.6
    640x480 59.9
    576x432 120.1
    512x384 120.0
    400x300 144.4 120.6 112.7
    320x240 120.1
    DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    TV-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
    Last edited by jgw; October 3rd, 2013 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

jgw; Whoa !

Nvidia and SIS are two different beast.

If the "xrandr" output you provided is from the Nvidia card ... do not attempt to translate it's readings to a SIS graphics.

If "xrandr" provides no useful output, what says "vbeinfo" from a grub command line ?

If that provided output is from the SIS enabled system .. then:
    1024x768 60.0 +
    the "+" says this is the preferred operating mode; I would take that as gospel and not stray too far - if at all. It is what is currently set ("*").
    see:
    Code:
    man xrandr

Doomed:
    maybe not.
    What boot parameter are you using ? Those parameters can be altered. And as well others may prove more suitable.
    But, bear in mind you can not expect good performance with old hardware.

it's amazing that a bear talks at all

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

I think this machine is just to old to really deal with. I think I will just put a copy of xp, find a decent password, and be finished with it. spent enough time trying to fix it right <sigh>
    Thanks a lot for all the help and I do appreciate it.
    I am going to mark this one done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast