Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mint 13: Bad 3D acceleration on X1600 graphics

Beans

Mint 13: Bad 3D acceleration on X1600 graphics

First of all sorry for posting a question on Mint, but since it is based on Ubuntu I am hoping I might get some help here nevertheless.

I am pretty new to Linux but nevertheless, I have installed Mint 13, 32bit (12.04) with Mate desktop on my HP nc8430 Laptop (specs: Intel T2500, 4GB RAM, Radeon X1600 graphics, 500GB HDD, Monitor 1680x1050).

First impression, everything works right out of the box. That is great and I really like it. However, the 3D performance of the x1600 graphics sucks big time. I have already done extensive research on the ATI driver issue with "old" cards and new kernels and tried a few "solutions" found in various places on the net. Alas to no avail. glxgears returns a frame rate of approx. 60 FPS (at least opengl is somehow working, although not at all accelerated). In 2D, scrolling is pretty jerky compared to 2D performance in WinXP on the same laptop. 3D performance is almost not detectable. For example Duke3D, run through eduke32, yields a graphics performance which is worse than running Duke3D on my ancient 386, 8MB, S3, DOS 6.x PC from the early 1990's. The game usually crashes when the graphics load increases. Same experience with some more recent titles under Wine, e.g. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC. I can happily run that game and similarly demanding titles on the same laptop under WinXP. Frame rate is somewhere in the range of a speedy PowerPoint presentation. Surprisingly, a DOS game (Schleichfahrt, aka. Archimedean Dynasty, from Bluebyte) run in DOSBox with DBGL front-end runs reasonably well.

I'm presently on the open source "Radeon" driver. However, in my searching around I did try to install the fglrx driver (didn't work) and purged it according to the Radeon driver recommendation on this forum. Below some info of my set up:

Code:
    glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0  screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.4
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
    I also found the following errors in Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    [    16.116] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    [    16.119] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
    [    16.119] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
    [    16.119] (II) Unloading fglrx
    [    16.119] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
    [    16.121] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
    [    16.124] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
    [    16.125] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
    [    16.125] (II) Unloading fglrx
    [    16.125] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
    [    16.260] [drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
    [    16.260] (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
    [dri] Disabling DRI.
    Anything serious or just the "normal" behaviour of 12.04 on ATI graphics hardware?

Is there a way to tweak 3D performance of this set-up? I would be much obliged for any help to increase the 3D performance of the open source driver set up, which supposedly fully supports my x1600 card. If you need more details, please point me to the right directions since my Linux literacy is still in its infancy.

As it stands, 12.04 doesn't give me any advantages on this laptop and if I can only use 2D graphics I might have to move Linux to one of my even older hardware with some basic Nvidia graphics.

Thanks

[Solved] = see last post in thread
    Last edited by danielr2; October 19th, 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: adding info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: [Mint 13] Bad 3D acceleration on X1600 graphics

Sorry to tell you this, but there are no 3D-accelerated drivers that will work with the X1600 anymore. AMD dropped Linux driver support for that card YEARS ago. The default open-source Radeon driver, which is installed by default, is the only one available.
    Ubuntu 17.04 Mate, Mint 18.1 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the answer, after my research so far, I kind of feared that reply. Is there no way to tweak the open-source driver to get at least some 3D acceleration? Or might another distribution, even a commercial one, be better suited to support the x1600 card?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As Mint 13 is based on Precise you should be able to use the AMD Catalyst Legacy driver from Tomasz Makarewicz ppa
    I used this ppa with great success on Precise, Quantal and Raring.
    Now I'm using EOS Luna ( based on Precise ) and the opensource ATI driver is working flawlessly
    Running Flight of the navigator without any jerky movements ( webGL test from Mozilla Firefox ) , just flows
    Skærmbillede fra 2013-09-28 21:21:22.jpg
    Ps.
    I have a Radeon HD4670 PCI-E graphics card.
    Last edited by Stinger; September 29th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Beans

Stinger,

thanks for the link, however, I fear my Mobility X1600 card (RV530) might not be supported with this legacy driver. Although the HD 2xxx Mobility Radeon X2500 is based on the X1600 (RV530) but still one generation ahead of my card and the memory clock specs. are a bit different. I could give it a try. Worst case, I have to put in the Mint 13 DVD and start all over ... or give Luna a try
    Last edited by danielr2; September 28th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danielr2 View Post
    I fear my Mobility X1600 card (RV530) might not be supported with this legacy driver. Although the HD 2xxx Mobility Radeon X2500 is based on the X1600 (RV530) but still one generation ahead of my card and the memory clock specs. are a bit different. I could give it a try. Worst case, I have to put in the Mint 13 DVD and start all over ... or give Luna a try
    Yeah, forgot your card is a bit to old even for the legacy driver, you seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place
    If I where you I would try the Legacy driver anyway, I think the worst thing that could happen is that your box would not use the driver and default to the opensource ATI driver instead.
    You can always purge the ppa afterwards and no harm is done.
    Or even better, try the EOS liveCD / USB and see if that works for you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Sorry to tell you this, but there are no 3D-accelerated drivers that will work with the X1600 anymore. AMD dropped Linux driver support for that card YEARS ago. The default open-source Radeon driver, which is installed by default, is the only one available.
    according to this documentation page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
    Fully Supported

All these Radeon(HD) cards and derivatives have good 3D acceleration support. This is not an exhaustive list:

RV530/RV560 Radeon X1600/X1650/X1700
    the question here is why is it not working? obviously this was tested on this chip and it seems Open Source driver should work. if it doesn't, then this chip should be removed from the list and get fixed (as it seems it was working at some point since it was put on the list).

to the OP - the only suggestions i have is:
    try the x-org edgers PPA (it's latest opensource driver). Make sure you read all the notes before installing the PPA.
    option 2 is to install latest kernel. i know AMD fixed and added plenty of opensource driver things in i think 3.11 kernel. again before doing so you might want to check release notes to see if your card/chip was the one that would benefit from that.

also it sounds ridiculous if 2D acceleraiton is not working. i know these mobility chips have bad support but still -2D windows dont' work?!?! basics of desktop dont' work and chip is on list that have good 3D support.

features in opensource driver for r500 series: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    how to test 3D features: http://askubuntu.com/questions/31913...rformance-test
    Last edited by mastablasta; September 30th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    [...]

features in opensource driver for r500 series: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
    how to test 3D features: http://askubuntu.com/questions/31913...rformance-test
    I did try the glmark2 benchmark. Overall performance rating is 18 and none of the individual tests went higher than 25fps. I am pretty sure, my x1600 performs a lot better under WinXP. So either my setup needs urgent optimisation or the Mesa 8.0.4 and Gallium 0.4 driver are plain rubbish with the x1600 card.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Daniel
    I think I know what you trouble is ( I've been there before ), you have installed the fglrx driver and when that did'nt work you purged it in the belive that you would revert back to the radeon driver.
    Well, as you can see from your Xorg.0.log, that did'nt happen. Your system still tries to load the fglrx driver ( but can't ), fails to load the radeon kernel module too and then defaults to running 3D through the llvmpipe ( software rendering ), leaving you without 3D accelleration.
    OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
    Mine for comparision:
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730
    That explains your poor result from running the glmark2, here is mine for comparision 'glmark2 Score: 1125'

Let's see if we can get your radeon driver working again.
    Did you follow this guide to the letter when you purged the fglrx driver ?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx fglrx*
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    As you can see from the above, not only do you need to purge fglrx but you need to reinstall mesa and xorg, and then reconfigure the xserver ( remember to reboot to activate the driver )

Another reason could be your kernel, I'm using the original 3.2 kernel ( the best one for you too I would think ). if you are using a newer kernel have a look at the LTS Enablement Stacks page , kernel and xserver must both be upgraded.
    Last edited by Stinger; October 19th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast