Thread: how to install logisim

Beans

how to install logisim

Hi,
    I can't install logisim 2.7.1, which I need to use for a computer architecture class I am taking. I looked in the software center and tried the apt-get thing but might not have used it correctly. I am new to ubuntu but I did install updates and a c++ compiler through apt-get. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a laptop that was installed using a windows installer. Can someone tell me step by step how to install this program called Logisim?

Thanks
    David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how to install logisim

In 12.04 logisim is in the backports and not in the main repositories. What you need to do is open the Software Centre, select Edit -> Software Sources from the menu and then when the window opens, click on the Updates tab and enable the Unsupported Updates (precise-backports) option; press Close and then search for it and install it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by david107 View Post
    Hi,
    I can't install logisim 2.7.1, which I need to use for a computer architecture class I am taking. I looked in the software center and tried the apt-get thing but might not have used it correctly. I am new to ubuntu but I did install updates and a c++ compiler through apt-get. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a laptop that was installed using a windows installer. Can someone tell me step by step how to install this program called Logisim?

Thanks
    David
    Logisim can be installed through software center/apt-get if you have backports enabled - Can you see it in the menu right now?

Does it show up if you run
    Code:
    /usr/bin/logisim
    in the terminal?

Thanks.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

I have enabled the backports, but I still can't find it.

Beans

Ok I finally got it. I did sudo apt-get upgrade and then opened the software center again and found logisim. It installed and works. Thank you both for helping.

Beans

how do i open edit? i cannot see it in the ubuntu software centre?

found it, i expected it to be in the same window not in the top bar.
    Last edited by poppys-boat; September 28th, 2013 at 11:08 AM.