Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GTX 760

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Nvidia GTX 760

Hi,

I installed Kubuntu 12.04 (latest version) and I am wondering which nvidia driver should I install for my GTX 760 card. At the moment, when I look in Muon I see installed:
    Code:
    jockey-common
    jockey-kde
    linkwinnvidiahack4
    libvdpau1
    nvidia-319
    nvidia-common
    nvidia-settings-319
    It is a powerful card but when I watch a video, or when I scroll in my webbrowser, I see "lines" on the screen which seem to divide the picture into two parts, one updating a fraction of a second later then the other part. It is annoying to say the least.
    I had that with my previous card (FX 8500GT) but with this new card I thought I had a fast card, plenty of RAM (2GB) so the whole picture (1920*1080 pixels) should be updated fast enough to see a smooth picture. Turns out this is not possible.

After installing the OS what should I do to get the perfect driver, which one should I install? Do I need the libvdpau1, do I need the others I installed, do I need something else?
    Who can help me with this? Please. I have a fast computer, a nice full HD monitor, a great graphics card but a terrible picture.
    DeMus

Beans

Re: Which nvidia driver

What's the recommended video driver under System/Additional Drivers?

As for what packages to install first, I'd say the restricted-extras are a good start.

Beans

nvidia-319
    That's the one.

Beans
    Distro

I have the 319 driver, but I have more, see the list in my original post. Are they all necessary or is it better to uninstall some of them?
    I really would expect that with this new computer I would have power enough to fill a screen without hickups:
    Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
    AMD FX-8350 4000 AM3+ processor (running at 4400MHz)
    Geil D316GB 1866-919 RAM (16GB)
    Asus 2GB D5 X GTX760-DC2OC Graphics card

What else is there to do?
    DeMus

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: Nvidia GTX 760

That list is correct. It sounds like you are experiencing "video tearing" issues..

Beans

run `jockey-gtk` and make sure your driver is selected as active.

Beans
    Distro

Temüjin,

Sorry for the late response but I have been on holiday. "Video tearing" issues sounds about right. But what can I do about that?
    Is it possible to use the GTX 760 card with Kubuntu 12.04? reason for asking is I use kernel 3.2.0-54-generic. Are there any modules available for this kernel to work with the 319 nvidia driver?
    I could install a newer version of Kubuntu but thing is I installed the alternate version on 5 raid disks. Since 12.10 (k)ubuntu stopped releasing the alternate versions and now it is impossible for me to install the OS on raid disks. I have seen several ways how to do it but I think I will be completely lost. So I have to stay with 12.04 for the time being.
    Hate to see the screen like this, but what to do?
    DeMus

Beans

You may want to try some different KWin settings in systemsettings -> Desktop Effects

You can also install a newer kernel if that's holding you back:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-lts-raring xserver-xorg-lts-raring

Beans
    Distro

I now use 3.8.0-32-generic and the problems are over. So it must have something to do with a kernel module which is available for this kernel and not for the older 3.2.
    Thank you so much Temüjin, you made my day.

Edit:
    It's not over yet. Also now when the screen is changing quickly I see the division in the picture, especially on those places where the picture moves a lot.
    What else can I do to make this go away?
    Last edited by DeMus; October 8th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
    DeMus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast