Thread: Nvidia graphics drivers (.run) file want to open in a text editor, how to install?

Beans

Nvidia graphics drivers (.run) file want to open in a text editor, how to install?

Double clicking opens the run file with gedit (a text editor)

Web says tick "run as application from settings", but it still opens with a text editor.

Web also says select "run from terminal" but there is no option for that.

How to install these?

Beans

Re: Nvidia graphics drivers (.run) file want to open in a text editor, how to install

Update: Tried following this: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6769624_ch...er-ubuntu.html

But cant, as theres no "Administration" in the system settings.

Same problem, when following this link too: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Are these links out of date? Or is something wrong with my linux?
    Last edited by Crinkle; September 27th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Nvidia graphics drivers (.run) file want to open in a text editor, how to install

First off, did you try installing the drivers through Ubuntu, rather then trying the run file?

Secondly, the file needs to be marked as executable
    In a terminal
    Code:
    chmod + x filename
    the + x will make it executable.
    change filename to the path to the run file.

Back to question # 1 though, it is easier to install the drivers through Ubuntu's driver management program(Additional Drivers) then the run file.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Additionally, if using 12.10, or 13.04 the additional drivers are inside the program software sources or software and updates.(not software updater)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I downloaded the drivers from the website, I have no idea how to do your step one. Where is the driver management program? I checked that link you sent but it said Nouveau drivers are no good for 3d and a lot of my games are 3D. So they are no good, also further down it again says I should go into "administration" in system are which is not there.

I also cannot try your second solution because I've no idea how it works. The file is downloaded in home/downloads so do i type:

chmod +x home/downloads/(filename)

?

EDIT: nope that doesnt work with either backslashes or forward slashes, what the hell?

Beans

Ok i used the software and updates feature in the system settings to find a page with driver information, and i changed and downloaded a NVIDIA driver instead of whatever weird driver it was using. It didn't error, didn't break anything, didn't bring up a message saying anything installed correctly, and it most importantly DIDNT WORK.

I used the unformation on this page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23238...e-on-my-system

to try the lshw -c video command.

It says I'm still using the Nouveau crao. How do i make it change?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By default, you should be in /home/username folder in a terminal (the ~ symbol is where you are and means home/username).
    If the file is in Downloads move into Downloads with cd(change directory)
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    this will move you into the downloads folder.
    Then simply do the chmod + x command with the file name.
    Example (Do not copy and paste this as it is wrong for you, change the file name to yours)
    Code:
    chmod + x Nvidia-something-something.run
    Added: The backslash before home is super important. home without it does not exist.
    home is a sub folder of root (/). So typing home/stuff(or whatever) will result in nothing happening, where as /home/stuff(again whatever) will do something.
    Last edited by deadflowr; September 27th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    Ok i used the software and updates feature in the system settings to find a page with driver information, and i changed and downloaded a NVIDIA driver instead of whatever weird driver it was using. It didn't error, didn't break anything, didn't bring up a message saying anything installed correctly, and it most importantly DIDNT WORK.

I used the unformation on this page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/23238...e-on-my-system
    That info is outdated.

Can you tell us which Nvidia card you're using?

This command will install the proprietary Nvidia drivers from the repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current