Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

Last edited by philinux; September 27th, 2013 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Final beta ready.

Lubuntu 13.10 Beta running well here. Cleanest ubiquity install I've seen in years. It's on USB SSD. Acer netbook with external TV monitor. I'll try ubuntu next on netbook, notebook, tower. BTW, I boot the .iso directly from SSD. Someone else can test DVD, network install, USB create disk, ... I install a lot so I take the easy quick way out.

Update. On same hardware, saucy beta ubuntu ubiquity runs a couple seconds and quits. I've been installing ubuntu saucy on this setup practically every two weeks, no go this time. Bug 1232182. I'll try another zsync tomorrow.....
    Last edited by jerrylamos; September 28th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.

Beans

I've only tested Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, and Lubuntu so I can't comment on the other flavors but my results with an Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz w/Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics are as follows:

Ubuntu Saucy final Beta is largely unusable ..... it takes nearly 5 (yes five) minutes for the dash to launch so you can even open an app not located in the launcher. It takes about 2 minutes even to open an app such as "files" in the launcher. Makes me wonder what the minimum specs are going to be .............. maybe a gazillion GHz CPU with a graphics board the size of the space station

Ubuntu GNOME final Beta is pretty good. I've encountered few problems using it out-of-box

Lubuntu final Beta is experiencing a lot of kernel freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Interesting. Seems to run very well following one early crash where it froze up for a while. Is the clock/calendar not supposed to be on the panel by default anymore? It's not there, and in the system settings everything regarding the clock is dimmed out so cannot be changed. Anyone else see this behavior?
    HP 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, A10-APU ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@tdockery97

If we go to Time and Date in System Settings and open the Clock tab there is a tick box = Show a clock in the menu bar. I think that is what you are looking for.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Makes me wonder what the minimum specs are going to be .............. maybe a gazillion GHz CPU with a graphics board the size of the space station
    Saucy runs great with my GM45 Intel graphics, 2.18 Celeron, 4G RAM. I'm leaving Raring on my wife's Atom 1.6Ghz, 2Gig Ram. She is happy with what she has and doesn't want an update. I might just go Jerry's route and run an ISO on it just to see what happens. If I get time to do that I'll report in, but I'm going on vacation Tuesday and probably won't have time till I get back.

I have personally always considered a System upgrade to be a hardware support issue and didn't really expect retro support until I switched to linux. I get your expections though, most of us Linux users are spoiled with hardware persistance. When I was supporting Windows just an MS Office upgrade would slow the machine to a crawl. Haven't had that so far with Linux. I do think the time comes when you have to move on and if Raring is the limit for my wife's Atom I will have to let it run it's course and then buy her a new system. That being said, what I have on both machines is perfect and I'm willing to replace both to try-out whats coming around the corner.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

Tried to upgrade 13.04 to 13.10 from usb image. hung at login to ubuntu one and had to do a hard reset. when I restarted it offered an upgrade from 13.10 to 13.10. None of my apps or themes from 13.04 remained. fortunately home was on separate partition. having put my apps back it seems no slower or faster than 13.04.
    indicator-sysmonitor now has a strange icon... otherwise no problems to speak of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I got this thing (saucy-beta) running on one of my older rmachines. A P4M266 with [AMD/ATI] RV350 [Radeon 9600 Series] with only 128mb ram and 1.2GB MoBo 233MHz ram!!!! And it is even more enhanced that Raring or Precise and I am brining this on from a live session.

Also those horrible, annoying mutiple-menu bars are gone. Probably just a watermark to see if we are really testing ! lol.

Now for hard install and then unity-system-compositor.

Another phenom .iso .. though I must say i have rarely seen the phenom iso's come out in a beta such as this.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

tdockery97: check the tick box in the time/date settings to see if it is properly checked as grahammechanical mentioned...i did notice after doing today's (rather large) amount of updates in my running development of 13.10 and when i restarted, the clock was gone on the panel....so i logged out and back in and it came back again...perhaps there were some updates that caused a little glitch on that...i will watch to see if it continues to do that when i boot up...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 27th, 2013 at 07:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smart scopes makes the dash ridiculously slow.... if I do something simple like type "terminal" and hit enter, there is like a full 3-4 second delay before anything even happens. I had to turn off online results in the dash which completely brought it back to 13.04 speed (13.04's dash was quick whether or not online results were on), smart scopes seems to be in pretty bad shape for a final beta... This is a fast system too. i5-3210m, 8GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD, intel HD4000.

Also ubuquity wouldn't even launch on either of my computers on the live session. I tried burning another liveusb too using a different stick. it would only launch if I booted directly into "install ubuntu" in the live session clicking on install just does nothing. There's been a bug about this in launchpad reported by someone else for about a week too.

On the installed session I ran into several other annoying issues: mainly the gnome-settings-daemon input "hotplug-command" hook is totally broken, and this hook is important because its the only way to change certain touchpad settings without gnome overriding them. Looks like that bug is assigned though. I ran into the known issue where the "blank screen" option keeps resetting to never.

For the good though: Compiz seems to be in good shape this release, much less buggy. The refined ambiance theme is a massive improvement, and the system has been very stable and crash free (typically I can't use an ubuntu beta without all kinds of random apport popups, but none so far in saucy).
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; September 27th, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast