Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

After one install on older machine it worked well but unity-system compositor would cause flashing and flikerty. I was able to restore back to X by removing unity-system-comp..

I then tried a nomodeset install and got a VESA dirver (unlike the first which was a Gallium) Now it is like molasses. This of course is a regression of the hard-installation process because I have suacy on another hdd on the same machine that works great with unity system-comp, ccsm and is very fast.

It's like the jockeying process does not know what it is doing (again). Have not tried it on my power machines as of yet but it is otherwise very stable in "live" session mode and installs solidly so far.
    Last edited by ventrical; September 27th, 2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

... as usual.. a smooth and flawless install with the Sandybridge Desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Final beta ready.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've only tested Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, and Lubuntu so I can't comment on the other flavors but my results with an Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz w/Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics are as follows:

Ubuntu Saucy final Beta is largely unusable ..... it takes nearly 5 (yes five) minutes for the dash to launch so you can even open an app not located in the launcher. It takes about 2 minutes even to open an app such as "files" in the launcher. Makes me wonder what the minimum specs are going to be .............. maybe a gazillion GHz CPU with a graphics board the size of the space station

Ubuntu GNOME final Beta is pretty good. I've encountered few problems using it out-of-box

Lubuntu final Beta is experiencing a lot of kernel freezes
    Testing the day before the beta, I have pretty much the same outcome, also Kubuntu is flawless. Using AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor × 2 ,GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2.

Ubuntu Saucy is almost useless. I have downloaded a Quantal kernel, and on the beta I will try that kernel to see if I get improvements on the graphics side. Trying to determine what's up with nvidia. Maybe an oler nouveau will work.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Testing the day before the beta, I have pretty much the same outcome, also Kubuntu is flawless.
    I just wanted to get a 13.10 beta installed on my spare laptop quickly and I had the released Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome beta images downloaded and ready to install.

After several attempts to get Ubuntu installed I gave up as the installation process either froze or prompted a reboot which then froze after my laptop was restarted. Kubuntu, as usual, installed first time and without any problems although to be fair to the Ubuntu installer my hard drive had by then already been partitioned and formatted to remove Windows Vista.

Anyway, I'm now busy updating, installing additional software and customising Kubuntu to match the 13.04 installation on my main laptop. It looks like I'll not bother with Ubuntu 13.10 now and will look at upgrading my Ubuntu 12.04 installation to 14.04 sometime during the next development cycle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, that was a waste of a couple of hours. I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of calling something a beta release just because a date in the calendar has been reached. I make no comment on Ubuntu 13.10 the OS but I cannot recommend the live session image for anything but testing purposes.

Trying to install from the live session desktop failed because the install icon (in Launcher and Dash) failed to activate the Installer. The actual installation worked up to a point. The Ubuntu One login for a returning user does not progress beyond endlessly repeating to validate the users login details. We need to click "login later" to get any further.

On reboot I got past the login screen to a black screen with only the white mouse cursor showing. Rebooting into Recovery mode>resume brings up a login screen that bounces back. Using Recovery>Root to update and then a full root loads to a login screen that bounces back.

All this = Unusable installation. This is not a good advertisement for Ubuntu.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@grahammechanical, If it's a bug that you can reproduce consistently, be sure to file a proper bug report in Launchpad so that your effort does not go to waste.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Well, that was a waste of a couple of hours. I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of calling something a beta release just because a date in the calendar has been reached. I make no comment on Ubuntu 13.10 the OS but I cannot recommend the live session image for anything but testing purposes.

Trying to install from the live session desktop failed because the install icon (in Launcher and Dash) failed to activate the Installer. The actual installation worked up to a point. The Ubuntu One login for a returning user does not progress beyond endlessly repeating to validate the users login details. We need to click "login later" to get any further.

On reboot I got past the login screen to a black screen with only the white mouse cursor showing. Rebooting into Recovery mode>resume brings up a login screen that bounces back. Using Recovery>Root to update and then a full root loads to a login screen that bounces back.

All this = Unusable installation. This is not a good advertisement for Ubuntu.

Regards.
    I agree, particularly when you say, "I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of calling something a beta release just because a date in the calendar has been reached."

I've been testing all of the Saucy Lubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME alphas and betas, and this is the worst of the bunch, although Ubuntu GNOME is the most stable of those three ........ can't comment on the other flavors ATM.

I personally see this as another indication that so-called "cadence testing" is a failure when it comes to iso images, maybe it's OK for individual apps, but what Ubuntu is now calling a "Final Beta" is actually "Alpha 1" quality!!!!!

In fact the Lubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME images are a gazillion times more stable than Ubuntu itself. Bad advertisement indeed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu 13.10 development is running quite nicely though and pretty darn stable so i am not so sure you can judge by live daily build isos...i installed about 2 months ago and it keeps getting better...i think it will be a really nice release...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well, I got my brand new asus s400ca, windows8 preinstalled, spend past two days reading every post about uefi, boot-repair, wathever, really scared.
    Today, took a deep breath, make some room in HD using win8 (remembered wy I leaved windows years ago), and installed saucy.
    As grahammechanical pointed, it only installs from boot option - live intaller icon does nothing, but I'm amazed as it went flawlesly. Maybe just a beginner's luck...
    spier
    --------
    Linux user #410105

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Ubuntu 13.10 development is running quite nicely though and pretty darn stable so i am not so sure you can judge by live daily build isos...i installed about 2 months ago and it keeps getting better...i think it will be a really nice release...
    I'm not talking about "daily builds". I'm talking about what Ubuntu represented as a "Final Beta". Have you tried that image?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast