Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu-server virtual machine internet keeps dying

Beans

Ubuntu-server virtual machine internet keeps dying

Setup:

Windows 7 running Ubuntu-server via VMware Workstation. Ubuntu runs in terminal with byobu, and its sole purpose is to function as an internet crawler.

On occasion, I would get a message saying that the network adapter was reset. These don't have any other consequence, and I can continue using the VM normally. However, I also get another type of message:

task kworker/2:0:20 blocked for more than 120 seconds

...and then something about /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs

So, why are my processes getting blocked (what the hell does that even mean?), and how do I stop this? It's a major inconvenience to have to reset my VM 3 or more times in a day, and start everything back up again.

I should also mention that the ifconfig eth0 down method does not work, once this hung message comes up. Typing that in will only hang the terminal, and nothing happens, nor can I type anything else into that terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu-server virtual machine internet keeps dying

Moved to Virtualisation
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

No one?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi hiig,

The times I've seen the scenario that you describe, it ended up being an issue with the VM properly writing itself to the disk. This was caused by incompatibilities with VMware Tools.

Do you have VMware Tools currently installed on your VM?

If so, I would remove them, and if needed, replace them with open-vm-tools:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/open-vm-tools

I hope this assists in resolving your issue.

Beans

I'm assuming after removal, I just apt-get the packages listed? Do I have to configure anything in the VMware settings? And am I supposed to use all listed packages? For instance, if I don't have a GUI, or need the debug tools, can I simply just install the dkms package and leave it at that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hiig View Post
    I'm assuming after removal, I just apt-get the packages listed? Do I have to configure anything in the VMware settings? And am I supposed to use all listed packages? For instance, if I don't have a GUI, or need the debug tools, can I simply just install the dkms package and leave it at that?
    Yes the open-vm-tools should be in the repo. You shouldn't need to change your VMware settings. As long as your pulling the packages from the Ubuntu repo, than you should be fine, as the packages have been tested for compatibility.

sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools
    sudo apt-get install open-vm-dkms
    sudo apt-get install open-vm-toolbox

I believe that should get you were you need to be.

Beans

The dkms package is not downloading. I'm getting 404 errors.

EDIT: Same thing for toolbox. The only one that installed successfully was tools.

Beans
    Hidden!

The dkms package is not downloading. I'm getting 404 errors.

EDIT: Same thing for toolbox. The only one that installed successfully was tools.
    hiig,

Sorry for giving you incorrect information, I haven't looked at the open-vm-* packages in a long time. The dkms and toolbox packages were merged into the open-vm-tools package.

Please see the below links:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search?text=open-vm-tools
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search?text=open-vm-dkms
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+search...pen-vm-toolbox

So if you installed open-vm-tools, you should have everything. Are you still receiving errors from the kernel.

Beans

The errors generally happen once or twice every few days, so I'll give it a week before saying anything with confidence.

However, how do I know if it is working? If I look at my processes in top, there used to be a vmware tools process. I haven't seen anything under V or O (for open vm), so I'm not sure if it did get set up.

VMware also still shows 'Install VMware Tools' under the VM menu, so again, I'm not sure if it did install, or not.

What does open-vm do, anyway? To my understanding, it's almost exactly the same thing as the normal vm-tools, but where would I go to change settings and the like?

Beans
    Hidden!

The errors generally happen once or twice every few days, so I'll give it a week before saying anything with confidence.

However, how do I know if it is working? If I look at my processes in top, there used to be a vmware tools process. I haven't seen anything under V or O (for open vm), so I'm not sure if it did get set up.

VMware also still shows 'Install VMware Tools' under the VM menu, so again, I'm not sure if it did install, or not.

What does open-vm do, anyway? To my understanding, it's almost exactly the same thing as the normal vm-tools, but where would I go to change settings and the like?
    hiig,

The open-vm-tools project goal is to basically create an open source version of VMware Tools that has all of the features.

Bad news:
    • Currently does not have all of the features.

Good news:
    • Was actually designed for compatibility with Linux.

Essentially, if you have problems with VMware Tools, you use open-vm-tools instead.

Additionally:
    • If you installed it from the Ubuntu repo without error, it is installed and working (the 404 errors for the two packages were because they no longer exist and were rolled into one package [all is well])
    • VMware will still try to get you to install VMware Tools because technically they are not installed.
    • You can find additional info about open-vm-tools here - (http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/about.php)

On a side note, because I always seemed to run into random issues with VMware Player/Workstation like you ran into, I switched to VirtualBox a long time ago (works great with Linux, Windows, and you can even get it to run OS X if needed). If it's a server I use ESXi or Proxmox VE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast