Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which Ubuntu Distro is best for me?

Beans

Re: Which Ubuntu Distro is best for me?

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    ACPI is already enabled

Beans

skype stopped working properly on linux for many users when microsoft took over (surprise!). I personally have had the same problem as you.... if you call someone skype crashes. this isnt the fault of ubuntu, its the fault of MS b/c they are the ones who are maintaining skype now. I still dont know how to fix this or what to do myself...

Also regarding speed... what exactly is slow on ubuntu? Ill venture a guess that internet browsing is painfully slow. In that case you need to install google chrome... Firefox is just slow on linux thats how it is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm beginning to think that the issue may be with your OS and not your BIOS. You mentioned that you are currently running Mint. I don't know that much about Mint but do they have a version with just a single CPU kernel? If so, then such a kernel would report the correct number of cores, but only use one. This is an unlikely and wild conjecture on my part as I can't imagine any modern distro that would compile a uniprocessor kernel.

The best thing for you to do at this point is to run a LiveDVD/USB instance of Xubuntu 12.04 and post back the results of lshw. This will bypass everything on your HDD which might be limiting your cores. Don't use your old copy of Ubuntu. Instead, download the stable version of Xubuntu 12.04 by torrent. I prefer to use torrent downloads if available. Not only is this less taxing on the Xubuntu server/mirror ecosystem, but torrents tend to have less corruption due to their robust dynamic error checking while downloading. The torrent site can be found here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Entirely dependent on you hardware specs and what you want to do with your computer. Try them all from the install disk and see what works ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseTimesAreGone View Post
    skype stopped working properly on linux for many users when microsoft took over (surprise!). I personally have had the same problem as you.... if you call someone skype crashes. this isnt the fault of ubuntu, its the fault of MS b/c they are the ones who are maintaining skype now. I still dont know how to fix this or what to do myself...
    Yep. Sadly, this was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. MS takes over an app and promptly breaks it for any OS but their own, all in the interest of "enhancing" its features. At worst, it is wilful and malign. At best, it is utter incompetence.
    ...Ill venture a guess that internet browsing is painfully slow. In that case you need to install google chrome... Firefox is just slow on linux thats how it is.
    Granted, Chromium is faster, but only marginally so. I run both on some older machines, and difference is not significant. It most certainly should not require 4 to 5 minutes to launch FF. That points to a deeper problem.

@OP

A moment ago, I suggested running lshw in a LiveDVD/USB session. In this same session, please also try launching FF and timing the delay between clicking the icon and launching the app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Yep. Sadly, this was as predictable as the sun rising in the morning. MS takes over an app and promptly breaks it for any OS but their own, all in the interest of "enhancing" its features. At worst, it is wilful and malign. At best, it is utter incompetence.Granted, Chromium is faster, but only marginally so. I run both on some older machines, and difference is not significant. It most certainly should not require 4 to 5 minutes to launch FF. That points to a deeper problem.

@OP

A moment ago, I suggested running lshw in a LiveDVD/USB session. In this same session, please also try launching FF and timing the delay between clicking the icon and launching the app.
    I installed XUbuntu a few minutes after you went off, (13.04) and it's been working really well (not that slow)

the only thing I did try was I did the lshw thing and it had the exact same as mint

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darian2 View Post
    ...I did the lshw thing and it had the exact same as mint
    IF both Xubuntu and Mint return the same data with lshw, then it has to be your BIOS. Can't help you on that one, as BIOSes are all distinct and too many of them. You will just have to read your users manual for your specific box.

ibjsb4 has already helped you determine that /proc/cpuinfo shows four cores (which is what s/b expected), so it may be that your system is already using all four cores and is just misreporting two. If so, then you can ignore the readings from lshw as far as cores are concerned.

On a practical note, if your system is now acceptably responsive, there may be little further to be gained beating this dead horse, which is a further reason for ignoring the core readings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    IF both Xubuntu and Mint return the same data with lshw, then it has to be your BIOS. Can't help you on that one, as BIOSes are all distinct and too many of them. You will just have to read your users manual for your specific box.

ibjsb4 has already helped you determine that /proc/cpuinfo shows four cores (which is what s/b expected), so it may be that your system is already using all four cores and is just misreporting two. If so, then you can ignore the readings from lshw as far as cores are concerned.

On a practical note, if your system is now acceptably responsive, there may be little further to be gained beating this dead horse, which is a further reason for ignoring the core readings.
    Well I'm just happy it's working, though I'm sad that I can't even have a proper skype call

But thanks a lot for your help and everybody else

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Never had a problem with Skype on my three completely different machines. Install it from the repos, not manually.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Never had a problem with Skype on my three completely different machines. Install it from the repos, not manually.
    By 'from the repos' you mean software centre? if so that's how I did it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast