Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS N550JV - battery not charging

Beans

ASUS N550JV - battery not charging

Just got Ubuntu on my new ASUS N550JV, I am having however some problems.

The most disturbing problem is that the battery is not charging and the battery LED is blinking orange.

ls /proc/acpi/ does NOT list any battery

acpi says "Battery 0: Unknown, 0%"

I updated to Linux 3.11.0-031100-generic, the problem is unchanged.
    Last edited by Aqlor; September 26th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ASUS N550JV - battery not charging

Was the battery charging under Windows or did you not test it?

Check the BIOS/UEFI and make sure that the laptop is set to charge. Some laptops allow you to tell the laptop to not charge the battery when its plugged in.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

No, the battery does not change under windows, ubuntu or any other OS I've tried (tried some live versions)

How can I check the UEFI to see if it is set to charge?

Thank you for your reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You should be able to shut down the computer all the way and when you turn it back on (when the Asus logo appears) press F2 a couple of times.

I'm starting to believe that the battery or some piece of hardware is wrong with the laptop but checking the BIOS will make sure that there isn't any software preventing it from charging. The Amber blinking light probably means something is wrong with the battery or charging circuit.

Battery Troubleshooting

You might try updating your BIOS but that is risky and only a last resort. Also you will only be able to update the BIOS from a windows computer.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

I've already updated the BIOS, and the blinking was gone for a while and the computer was charging.

But this was only temporally, the problem is now back. I've tried, in desperation, to "update" the BIOS again, to the same version so it could reset or something but that is not possible unless it is a newer version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How old is the laptop? If its still under warranty you might want to contact Asus about it.

If its out of warranty you might want to try getting a new battery online.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose

Beans

The laptop has just a few weeks, the problem is I can't get it back to warranty as it is my work computer.

I e-mailed ASUS and looks like this problem is not unusual with Linux, they told me to resit the battery, but I would lose the warranty.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aqlor View Post
    The laptop has just a few weeks, the problem is I can't get it back to warranty as it is my work computer.

I e-mailed ASUS and looks like this problem is not unusual with Linux, they told me to resit the battery, but I would lose the warranty.
    Two things you should know about:

1. This laptop does not charge the battery if its charge level is above or equal to 95%. (if it has 98% charge it will not charge the battery, at 94% will charge back to 100%)
    2. If you decide to open the unit in order to reseat the battery, you will not loose the warranty. The only seal this unit has is on the cooling assembly, which you won't have to touch. You do need a special screwdriver - with a Torx T5 head - which you can buy at the hardware store if you don't own one already. You can find pictures of what's inside the unit notebookcheck, including the battery. When opening the bottom lid, gently pull the lid on one side while also pushing it from the side - the lid has plastic clips on each side that need to be unhooked. Repeat the process on the other side. It' really easy once you get the hang of it, but first time requires a bit of patience.

I hope the info helps, best of luck.

PS: I'm not a forum user, stumbled upon your thread by accident. Might not reply in the near future

Beans

Thank you Alexandru,

1. My battery is now at 68% so that is not the case.
    2. I will consider opening it, I have some Torx screwdrivers I hope one of them is the right size.

I will post later.

Beans

Did you ever solve this problem?

I have a very similar issue with my N550JV.

Battery was charging fine under Windows8, then I installed Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Win8.

Now amber battery indicator light flashes constantly, and the battery won't charge under either either win8 or Ubuntu!!

Did the Ubuntu install somehow kill the battery charging circuit?

If this is permanent damage then I could return the computer in the next few days. So I appreciate any responses ASAP!!

B

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast