Thread: home turned into executable

Threaded View

Beans

home turned into executable

hey all i have had a major system screw up and i dont know how to fix it.

I was running xubuntu13.10 and had a problem on the 25th boot where it wants to check your filesystem it wouldnt do it so i skipped. On the next reboot i was w armly welcomed to the grub rescue page. Since then i have tried a couple things to get me back into the system

1. booted up my live usb of xubuntu 12.04 tried boot-repair. rebooted nothing
    2. did the grub resuce method

set root=(hd0,1) etc etc

with this it got me all the way into a xubunut@xubuntu terminal, not what i wanted but hey i as further to getting my system back. Tried all sorts of things here
    1.reinstalling grub to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade didnt work
    2 grub-install didnt work
    3 this one didnt bring up xubuntu@xubuntu bu initfrms box instead so tried mount and chroot to get into system big fail

so now as i was thinking ok i give up. The i went to the live usb again and was about to dump my home directory to and external hdd so i can pick what i wanted from it and hopefully save my songs, photos , conky config(took one hella time doing) only to find out that it was an executable and not folder ?? see picture. I was wondering what the hell happened to it and will i be able to get it back to a folder.

edit here:-

Puling up ls -l i get this for home

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 17024 Feb 7 2013 home

Does this have anything to do with it as i am seeing that most directorys have a d where the first dash . So how do i go about getting that back?

Last edited by mut3d87; September 27th, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: more info