Thread: Software Center wont open and programs not listed in dashboard

Beans

Software Center wont open and programs not listed in dashboard

The title pretty much says it.

I tried to open Libre office yesterday and nothing came up in the Dash Home Searchbar, so I searched for some other programs and not one came up.
    I tried to open the Software Center to check if everything was still installed but it keeps crashing before it loads the homescreen. Reboot didn't help. To be clear, I can still open programs like libre office from the terminal. However, when I tried to open Software Center from the terminal I get the following:

Code:
    user@laptop:~$ software-center
    2013-09-26 21:38:50,241 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - setting up proxy 'None'
    2013-09-26 21:38:50,326 - softwarecenter.db.database - INFO - open() database: path=None use_axi=True use_agent=True
    2013-09-26 21:38:51,629 - softwarecenter.backend.reviews - WARNING - Could not get usefulness from server, no username in config file
    2013-09-26 21:38:51,920 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - show_available_packages: search_text is '', app is None.
    2013-09-26 21:38:51,929 - softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache - INFO - aptcache.open()
    Then Software Center pops up and freezes and I have to force quit it.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Software Center wont open and programs not listed in dashboard

Try a different package manager, see if it will work.

Open a terminal and enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

Beans

Thanks for the reply, I followed your instructions but unfortunately it didn't help solve the problem

Beans

Will either of them open in terminal?

Code:
    software-center
    Code:
    gksudo synaptic

Beans

Ok, so opening a up a Terminal 'software-center' starts Software Center and then it crashes again. 'gksudo' synaptic opened up the synaptics package manager and it seems to work; I successfully installed and ran virtual box. I don't mind having to use Synaptic Package Manager, however the initial problem still exists that nothing is coming up when I search in the dash. I had to start virtual box from the Terminal.

Thanks for your help so far though. getting virtual box was my main priority.

Beans

I do not run unity or the software center, so better to wait for someone with this experience to help you out.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Good luck.