Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been hacked

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I've been hacked

Thanks everyone for your wise words. Although I've used Linux since Ubuntu 6.06, I'm still pretty naive about network security. Hopefully this thread will help others before this happens to them.

For the record, I have re-installed from a pre-hack back-up.

unspawn: what are these services that are easy to gain entry with?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi

Sorry to step in - everything which is accessible from outside and which is unpatched or due to wrong system administration is a security thread. You have to check what else you have to enable and only enable services/servers which you really need for outsite services/server communication and enable apparmor (minimal setup/system). In case there is no apparmor profile I can only suggest that you study apparmor documentation and create yourself a profile for the offered service/server in case there is non available. However study the provided apparmor profiles too as there is room for improvements (for my taste some of them are relaxed) - you know your system and what is needed - tailor a strict profile.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mahyar View Post
    what are these services that are easy to gain entry with?
    That depends on what's exposed, what authentication and what vulnerabilities are involved. Historically that means any R* services, for Desktop systems Vino and equivalents were mentioned quite a lot in this forum, these days commonly SSH with easy-to-guess passwords instead of pubkey auth and whatever runs in the web stack. For example running vulnerable outdated versions of forum or web log software, plugins, themes and such. While the web server user has less privileges than root it can store files, maybe run cron jobs, send email and such. That may not mean much at first sight, the majority of easy-to-expoit situations are only abused for sending spam or running a bot, but leaving events undetected or not correcting them timely allows an attacker to gain a foothold and seek to compromise the system more thoroughly and at a leisurely pace. The problem with that is not only a local security risk but also an increased threat for adjacent systems: which basically means us as we're all connected via the 'net. Loading a backup still requires you to change passwords / pass phrases and assess the system for loopholes.

Two things you should learn from your mishap are that security is a continuous process requiring a layered approach and that Linux may be free to use but using it is not free of responsibilities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tripp98 View Post
    Also give them something to do. Install a honeypot and forward 22 to it. Its designed to capture what the hackers try to do.
    Care to mention any honeypots?

Beans

http://www.tracking-hackers.com/solutions/

i have used honeyd. its fun watching what people try to do.
    it logs everything they type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12