Thread: How TO Install Jedi Academy w/ Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

How TO Install Jedi Academy w/ Wine

I had some problems installing this game, and after searching for any solutions out there I found that I wasn't alone. I was surprised to find that it does install pretty easily, and runs bloody well. I compared the performance with the open sourced version of Jedi Outcast, and considering that Jedi Academy is a bit more resource heavy, it's close to native speeds.

So, the problem I noticed many had, is the installer, because there are 2 CDs, and switching cds in Wine is always a problem, especially when you're mounting them as iso's. Beware that this solution requires you to use a "NoCd" exe, but since you own the original game you have nothing to worry about. Follow these steps:

1. Pop in the CDs and convert them to iso images.
    2. Install and launch Furius ISO Mount.
    3. Mount each iso image, and keep the application open throughout this process.
    4. (Install Wine) and launch winecfg ("Configure Wine").
    5. In winecfg, select the tab Drives and click "Add", select a drive letter and "Browse" for the folder where the iso is mounted (for me it was /home/me/swjacd1). Then click "Show advanced" and select CDROM as the Type. Repeat these steps for CD2. Then click "Ok".
    6. Now open /home/me/swjacd1 in ex. nautilus and launch autorun.exe. Click "Install" and wait for it to ask for CD2.
    7. This installer is nice enough to give you a path to the CD, so all you have to do now is change the drive letter. So say CD1 is in D:\ and CD2 in E:\, change "D:\GameData" so it says "E:\GameData". Hit "Ok".
    8. Once the installer has finished it will ask you to change CD again to CD1. You know what to do.
    9. Before you can launch the game you need to replace the installed jasp.exe with the one found in the NoCd package (link further down). For me this file was installed here: /home/me/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/LucasArts/Star\ Wars\ Jedi\ Knight\ Jedi\ Academy/GameData/jasp.exe
    10. Once you have the new exe in place, you can unmount the iso's in Furious ISO Mount and exit the app. Don't launch the game with the installed shortcut, instead launch it with a desktop file (code further down). Or, if you prefer, open nautilus and open jasp.exe normally.

Launching the game

Create a file and name it star-wars-jk-jedi-academy.desktop, save it in ~/.local/share/applications/
    Remember to edit the paths in the code below to match your local installation.

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Launch Star Wars JK Jedi Academy
    Path=/home/me/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/GameData
    Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/me/.wine" wine C:\\\\Program\ Files\\\\LucasArts\\\\Star\ Wars\ Jedi\ Knight\ Jedi\ Academy\\\\GameData\\\\jasp.exe
    Type=Application
    StartupNotify=true
    Then open a terminal and run chmod +x ~/.local/share/applications/star-wars-jk-jedi-academy.desktop

Performance

I made the mistake to enable everything in the Video options, thinking my laptop from 2008 with integrated graphics could handle it. Didn't work out to well. I had to disable "Detailed Shader" to get a smooth framerate. Just a heads up. With that turned off it runs FAST.

NoCd info

I tried several diff ones from gamecopyworld.com and found this to work best. Navigate to the PC game section and look for Jedi Academy, then look for "Jedi Academy v1.0 *FINAL* SP/MP [ALL] No-CD/Fixed EXE #1" [gruswjkafcd.rar 519KB].

Yes I will add this result to winehq a.s.a.p., it truly deserves a better grade than Silver.
    Hope you found this useful, sharing is caring!
    Last edited by elundmark; September 27th, 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: added desktop file description

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How TO Install Jedi Academy w/ Wine

cool.

only why would instaling from CD present a problem? i know it's just a command you add when you launch install. like in diablo. and then when it promtps you to change CD oyu just change it.
    Last edited by mastablasta; September 27th, 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla