Thread: Can connect only to OPEN network!

Beans

Can connect only to OPEN network!

Hi all,

yesterday I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my mother's netbook, Samsung NP-NC210 (http://www.samsung.com/in/support/model/NP-NC210-A01BD).

The problem is that it connects to my WLAN router only when I have disabled security. When I enable my WPA+WPA2 password, I cannot get the netbook connected.
    I have tried changing the channel but the problem continues.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Dimitris

Beans

Re: Can connect only to OPEN network!

Hello Dimitris, Welcome to the forums !

Please open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and post back the output of following commands -
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    iwconfig
    nm-tool
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Hi, thanks for replying.
    This is what I get:
    Code:
    pc@pc-NC210-NC110:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Device [144f:7179]
        Kernel driver in use: wl
    09:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device [144d:c0a8]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
    pc@pc-NC210-NC110:~$ iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:on

pc@pc-NC210-NC110:~$ nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: disconnected

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Type:              Wired
      Driver:            r8169
      State:             unavailable
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        E8:11:32:7A:98:92

Capabilities:
        Carrier Detect:  yes
        Speed:           100 Mb/s

Wired Properties
        Carrier:         off

- Device: eth1 -----------------------------------------------------------------
      Type:              802.11 WiFi
      Driver:            wl
      State:             disconnected
      Default:           no
      HW Address:        E0:CA:94:57:33:F0

Capabilities:

Wireless Properties
        WEP Encryption:  yes
        WPA Encryption:  yes
        WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points 
        FRITZ!Box:       Infra, 00:1C:4A:A3:10:E0, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 77 WPA WPA2
        CYTA 483A:       Infra, DC:0B:1A:24:48:3A, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 75 WPA WPA2
        OTE8249:         Infra, 00:15:56:D0:13:3C, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 25 WEP
        falconight:      Infra, 58:98:35:4D:AA:FC, Freq 2457 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 29 WPA WPA2
        HOL ALU WLAN:    Infra, 66:AB:25:7C:D0:82, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 27 WPA WPA2
        falakros-praktor:Infra, 94:44:52:B4:9A:19, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 25 WPA2
        open:            Infra, 00:05:59:0A:3D:B9, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 25 WPA WPA2
        dkof:            Infra, BC:F6:85:3F:50:4A, Freq 2437 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 22 WPA WPA2
        SABBAS:          Infra, B0:75:D5:8F:C0:F3, Freq 2447 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 22 WPA
        chadji wifi:     Infra, 00:17:C2:EE:B7:C1, Freq 2452 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 20 WEP
    Last edited by jimcoun; September 25th, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Beans

First of all, please edit your above post to wrap the outputs within 'Code' tags (follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature to see how). It will preserve its formatting and will make it more readable (besides getting rid of those cute smileys )

Now the card you have does not have too many options to try. One thing you may try is to turn the power management off on the wireless interface, although I don't think it may help in authentication issues -
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig eth1 power off
    Then check with "iwconfig" to see if it really turned off.

About the WPA+WPA2 security (I should have said this in my first post) - This combination has very bad reputation in Linux, it simply does not work very well with linux drivers. It is highly recommended to use pure WPA2-PSK encryption with AES algorithm (not TKIP). If it is not a problem for you, please try that and let us know the result.
    Last edited by varunendra; September 25th, 2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: fixed code tags
    Varun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    About the WPA+WPA2 security (I should have said this in my first post) - This combination has very bad reputation in Linux, it simply does not work very well with linux drivers. It is highly recommended to use pure WPA2-PSK encryption with AES algorithm (not TKIP). If it is not a problem for you, please try that and let us know the result.
    +1
    Just change the security from WPA+WPA2 to just WPA2 (with AES obviously) and you should be fine.

Beans

I changed my router's authentication to WPA2(CCMP??). It was the only option it gave me. However, it then informed me that this is the AES algorithm. Anyway, the netbook still cannot connect to the network..

I also tried switching power management off, still no luck.

Beans

FIXED! Worked only with WPA and TKIP algorithm. Thank you very much

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoun View Post
    FIXED! Worked only with WPA and TKIP algorithm. Thank you very much
    Ugh, TKIP (infamous for inefficiency resulting in slow speeds) ! But thanks for the feedback
    Varun

Beans

Maybe the driver is not correct. Is there a website where I can download drivers for Linux, for specific hardware?

Thanks once again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimcoun View Post
    Maybe the driver is not correct. Is there a website where I can download drivers for Linux, for specific hardware?

Thanks once again
    You're welcome !

Downloading drivers from third party resources is probably the worst choice and often takes a lot of manual configuration to make it work. The latest version of the driver you are using is already available in the repositories, albeit not the default ones for 13.04 as yet.

To see which version is currently in use, you can use command -
    Code:
    dpkg -s bcmwl-kernel-source | grep Version
    If it shows 6.20.... then you may be able to get some better performance with the newer version which is 6.30.. To install this version, update your system first -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Then download the latest (6.30...) .deb package suitable to your kernel (32 or 64 bit) from here : http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...icted/b/bcmwl/

Now before installing this package, it would be a good idea to purge the current one -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    Then double-click the downloaded one to install it with your package manager.

Another driver that often works better with this card for some people is the native brcmsmac driver. To try it, just purge the current one with the "apt-get purge" command told above, and don't install the latest one you just downloaded. Just reboot and it (the native brcmsmac driver) should automatically load on next boot. Check that with -
    Code:
    lsmod | grep -e brcm -e wl
    You should only see brcmsmac and some related lines, NOT wl in the output. If so, then the native one is in use. See if it gives you any better performance as it does for many others. If not, then just double-click the above downloaded one to install it. Reboot and you'll have the proprietary one (wl) loaded once again, only the latest version this time.

Let us all know about the performance difference (if any) with both these variations. Thanks !

PS:
    Like I mentioned previously, WEP+TKIP is not good for performance/speed. So try the WPA2 (AES) with both drivers (brcmsmac and the latest wl one) to see if any of them can get better performance with it.
    Varun