Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual booter's computing after death of XP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dual booter's computing after death of XP

I currently dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP. However, XP dies in April 2014 and to install Windows 7 I have to do a clean install, which would wipe out programs, including some that I don't know where the CDs are. Moreover, every time one installs Windows, it erases grub and access to Linux has to be redone.

Sooo ... here are a few potential strategies:

1) Ditch Windows, run irreplaceable programs in Wine. I'd love that, but I have problems with some of them (posted query in Wine subgroup, we'll see ...)

2) Keep Windows but offline (so it doesn't get viri) and use only Ubuntu for the net.

3) Break down and go through the hassle of Windows 7. (I have done this at work, where Linux is not yet possible.)

Any opinions and/or suggestions? I am a moderately advanced user, not a programmer, not a huge geek.

Thanks in advance! I always get good ideas here.

C

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dual booter's computing after death of XP

Quote Originally Posted by cecilieaux View Post
    I currently dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows XP. However, XP dies in April 2014 and to install Windows 7 I have to do a clean install, which would wipe out programs, including some that I don't know where the CDs are. Moreover, every time one installs Windows, it erases grub and access to Linux has to be redone.

Sooo ... here are a few potential strategies:

1) Ditch Windows, run irreplaceable programs in Wine. I'd love that, but I have problems with some of them (posted query in Wine subgroup, we'll see ...)
    Which programs do you need? There might be alternatives in linux.

2) Keep Windows but offline (so it doesn't get viri) and use only Ubuntu for the net.
    I know several people will do this.

3) Break down and go through the hassle of Windows 7. (I have done this at work, where Linux is not yet possible.)

Any opinions and/or suggestions? I am a moderately advanced user, not a programmer, not a huge geek.

Thanks in advance! I always get good ideas here.

C
    If your computer has enough horsepower and memory, you can install XP in a virtual machine for example Virtualbox. It works well enough in a 'middle-aged' computer with a dual-core or core2duo CPU and 2 GB RAM. I have such a system in a computer with and AMD Athlon dual core 4400+ CPU. That computer was new in April 2008.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had one app in Windows that I really liked, Quicken and had used since DOS, so lots of history. At first the Linux equivalents were not really good enough, but finally I decided just to use Kmymoney. I do not consider it as good as Quicken but now it is good enough.
    So some of the change to Linux apps may be just that you are used to the Windows ones. And some Linux apps are just as good or even better but may have learning curve on change.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

It's difficult to know when and how Windows communicates with rest of the world. In Buntu you can control which daemons are active, but services in Windows are a different matter. As posted above I would recommend to keep XP in a virtual environment, if you really need Windows applications.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Which programs do you need? There might be alternatives in linux.I know several people will do this.

If your computer has enough horsepower and memory, you can install XP in a virtual machine for example Virtualbox. It works well enough in a 'middle-aged' computer with a dual-core or core2duo CPU and 2 GB RAM. I have such a system in a computer with and AMD Athlon dual core 4400+ CPU. That computer was new in April 2008.
    The programs I would really like to be able to use are Corel Ventura 10 (and no, Scribus doesn't come close), WordPerfect Office (I have the version 8 for linux but there are libraries missing or something and it doesn't install) and for fun Civilization II (FreeCiv doesn't quite do the trick).

I have 4GB RAM dual core, but I can't get Virtualbox to load right in Ubuntu.

The error I get is:

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It's difficult to know when and how Windows communicates with rest of the world. In Buntu you can control which daemons are active, but services in Windows are a different matter. As posted above I would recommend to keep XP in a virtual environment, if you really need Windows applications.
    This is an interesting observation. I could, since I'm using a USB wireless adapter, simply unplug the thing physically. I don't think even Windows can beat no physical connection.

XP dies in April 2014
    Support may end but the OS certainly won't "quit working".
    Death drives an Airflow Chrysler on the streets of man
    A hit and run driver cruising since the world began

Beans
    Hidden!

The programs I would really like to be able to use are Corel Ventura 10 (and no, Scribus doesn't come close), WordPerfect Office (I have the version 8 for linux but there are libraries missing or something and it doesn't install) and for fun Civilization II (FreeCiv doesn't quite do the trick).

I have 4GB RAM dual core, but I can't get Virtualbox to load right in Ubuntu.

The error I get is:
    Well, I think you want to continue running XP. And yes, unplugging the USB wifi device would be safe as long as you remember it So dual boot can be OK.

It might work better to run the VirtualBox version, that is downloaded directly from Oracle. There is also the alternative to use KVM-qemu according to these links, provided that you can activate virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V) in your computer.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/VirtManager

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

But won't the hordes of hackers come blow up my computer?

Beans
    Hidden!

But won't the hordes of hackers come blow up my computer?
    ???

Do you mean when running Ubuntu or Windows?

See this link https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast