Thread: no access in new 10.04 to 12.04 upgrade

Beans

no access in new 10.04 to 12.04 upgrade

I really think it's done for but I'll try asking here. I just did an upgrade, (10.04 to 12.04) and can only log on as a (useless) guest. I do not know if my user account is even still there, since I'm not allowed to see the files. It let me change the user password, but then wouldn't ask me for it.
    I cannot access root. I cannot access recovery. No sudo commands of any sort will work, all I get is <<sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted>>. None of the fixes for that found here or in other places work.
    Assuming that this install is lost, is it possible to lift my user files from this HD and <<splice>> them into a cloned 10.04 disk? This is bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: no access in new 10.04 to 12.04 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by whvw View Post
    Assuming that this install is lost, is it possible to lift my user files from this HD and <<splice>> them into a cloned 10.04 disk?
    In a live boot you can copy your user files from the failed upgrade and paste them into a fresh install of 12.04 or 13.04.

In the other thread of yours a backup was recommended, wasn't it...?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

WEll, I discoverd that I could create a new user, and get some access with that. I even managed to restore my original user and root. BUT: Seamonkey is gone, Open Office won't open and my desktop is a mess. Is there any way to customise the desktop as in older versions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Check out this thread for customizing, though I am not sure how it's going to help with the problems.