Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunar slow as molasses

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thunar slow as molasses

Within, I'd say, the past week, Thunar has gotten extremely slow at opening everything. So slow, in fact, that I become alarmed that something is broken. One time, I got the following

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    I'm not sure what to do with that. By network connection I'm assuming home network (which consists of one modem and one desktop, so why would that slow opening files on that one computer??? We did change ISPs a week ago, but again, would that effect work I'm doing offline on my own computer?)

Earlier this summer someone reported a similar problem with Nautilus, but there were no answers for it.

Any ideas?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Re: Thunar slow as molasses

Have you tried reseting Thunar? Also maybe clearing out your thumnails will help.

Code:
    mv ~/.config/Thunar ~/.config/Thunar.bak
    rm -rf ~/.thumbnails/
    If that doesn't change anything you can always revert your old configs with.

Code:
     mv ~/.config/Thunar.bak ~/.config/Thunar
    Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    Last edited by Kirboosy; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Have you tried reseting Thunar? Also maybe clearing out your thumnails will help.

Code:
    mv ~/.config/Thunar ~/.config/Thunar.bak
    rm -rf ~/.thumbnails/
    If that doesn't change anything you can always revert your old configs with.
    Caboose, wow. I started with the first code you suggested to reset Thunar and that alone made a huge difference. Thanks!

Beans

You may want to run the following command to remove your old backup (just so you don't have useless clutter on the hard drive)

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.config/Thunar.bak
    Anyways, glad I could help

~Caboose
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    You may want to run the following command to remove your old backup (just so you don't have useless clutter on the hard drive)

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.config/Thunar.bak
    Anyways, glad I could help
    Will do. And yes, you've been a great help. Much appreciated!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Caboose, wow. I started with the first code you suggested to reset Thunar and that alone made a huge difference. Thanks!
    Just curious, but what did you have in ~/.config/Thunar?

I see two files: accels.scm and uca.xml. From the looks of it, the latter is meant for Thunar's custom actions and the former is automatically generated. Any thoughts on which was the culprit?

Beans
    Distro

Rats. The first file I opened this morning was, once again, very slow to respond. In fact I got another of these...

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    sigh

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Just curious, but what did you have in ~/.config/Thunar?

I see two files: accels.scm and uca.xml. From the looks of it, the latter is meant for Thunar's custom actions and the former is automatically generated. Any thoughts on which was the culprit?
    Vasa1, the only file there is thunarrc.txt

Do I need to repeat Caboose's suggestion?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Rats. The first file I opened this morning was, once again, very slow to respond. ...
    Vasa1, the only file there is thunarrc.txt

Do I need to repeat Caboose's suggestion?
    Oops, sorry to hear that. What is your version of Thunar? Mine is Thunar 1.6.2. My desktop is not conventional Xubuntu or Xfce but a mix of Lubuntu and Xfce but the contents of ~/.config/Thunar should be similar, IMO. I wonder why they aren't.

thunarrc.txt doesn't sound like a "legit" file and by "legit" I mean something that comes with Thunar or is created by the system. Such files are usually something.rc or somethingrc but not somethingrc.txt. For example, I have ~/.themes/MyGreybird/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc.

I'm not good at this but I think Thunar is looking for something it feels it has to contact or automount. Sometime ago, there were a lot of posts about why Thunar took a while to open on its first launch but I thought that problem no longer exists.

http://xubuntu.org/news/faq-1204-precise/
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10626...r-scan-in-xfce
    Last edited by vasa1; September 24th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Oops, sorry to hear that. What is your version of Thunar? Mine is Thunar 1.6.2. My desktop is not conventional Xubuntu or Xfce but a mix of Lubuntu and Xfce but the contents of ~/.config/Thunar should be similar, IMO. I wonder why they aren't.
    Wow, mine's version 1.2.3. Seems like I'm rather out of date! I installed Xfce after I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and discovered I didn't care for Unity. Sounds like some upgrading is definitely in order.

thunarrc.txt doesn't sound like a "legit" file and by "legit" I mean something that comes with Thunar or is created by the system. Such files are usually something.rc or somethingrc but not somethingrc.txt. For example, I have ~/.themes/MyGreybird/gtk-2.0/apps/thunar.rc.

I'm not good at this but I think Thunar is looking for something it feels it has to contact or automount. Sometime ago, there were a lot of posts about why Thunar took a while to open on its first launch but I thought that problem no longer exists.

http://xubuntu.org/news/faq-1204-precise/
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/10626...r-scan-in-xfce
    I'm definitely no expert, but your explanation sounds very logical. And you've given me a starting point for more research. Thank you vasa1!

Beans

I forgot to have you clear the cache of Thunar as well. Sorry, my bad!

Code:
    rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions
    Hope that fixes it once and for all!
    ~Caboose

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast