Thread: A query re backups

Beans

A query re backups

I am using 'Backup' to backup my files to a usb stick once weekly. Am using Lubuntu 12.04 Gnome . My query is this: if I do an install of Ubuntu 12.04 can I use the usb stick to restore my files to Ubuntu 12.04 using 'Backup restore'. How can I transfer all my current programs to the Ubuntu OS or would I have to restore them manually eg KMymoney, Scribus, Backup etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: A query re backups

Here's some link's iv'e just been giving about backing up program's hope they are as helpful to you as they were to me.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5

http://kevin.vanzonneveld.net/techbl...selectupgrade/

Beans

Thankyou David98 . Looks promising . Will get on to it shortly.

Beans

If I do a backup putting it into the /tmp directory would that not be wiped out upon doing a new install. Does this mean that I would have to put the /tmp/dpkglist.txt into another medium like an external CD or DVD then bring it back when I have completed the new install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mal_Ellis View Post
    If I do a backup putting it into the /tmp directory would that not be wiped out upon doing a new install. Does this mean that I would have to put the /tmp/dpkglist.txt into another medium like an external CD or DVD then bring it back when I have completed the new install.
    One guides says to save to /tmp/dpkglist.txt and then include that location in your normal backups.
    Can save it to your normal backup location with the initial command be that another drive, partition or usb.
    eg I use another drive (and also copy to my ubuntuone folder)....
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --get-selections > /media/Data/BUPS/Raring/my_applications/dpkglist.txt
    Last edited by stinkeye; September 24th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.

Beans

Anything written to /tmp will be destroyed at the next boot. Put files you want to keep in your home directory.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you all for your help. I have resolved the problem but not really as I had desired.
    I put the /dpkglist.txt onto a USB stick, did a complete new install of Ubuntu 12.04 then took the /dpkglist.txt back to /tmp directory. Then following instructions 1/2/3 and it reinstalled everything. Took about 4 hours and when it was completed my computer would not start up again . I ended up reinstalling 12.04 again and manually installihng all the programs I require. As an aside I think the instructions for getting the /dpkglist.txt back onto the HDD is a fine idea. Is there some way that you could go through all the programs and delete the ones you don't want back in the new installation . My one picked up the old Lubuntu OS which was one thing that I did not require and I think that this lead to my computer not restarting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mal_Ellis View Post
    Thank you all for your help. I have resolved the problem but not really as I had desired.
    I put the /dpkglist.txt onto a USB stick, did a complete new install of Ubuntu 12.04 then took the /dpkglist.txt back to /tmp directory. Then following instructions 1/2/3 and it reinstalled everything. Took about 4 hours and when it was completed my computer would not start up again . I ended up reinstalling 12.04 again and manually installihng all the programs I require. As an aside I think the instructions for getting the /dpkglist.txt back onto the HDD is a fine idea. Is there some way that you could go through all the programs and delete the ones you don't want back in the new installation . My one picked up the old Lubuntu OS which was one thing that I did not require and I think that this lead to my computer not restarting.
    While your installing manually create your own install script for your next fresh install..
    eg last time I installed all the applications I use I created a new-install.sh script so next time I can just run the script.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sudo apt-get install man2html synaptic easystroke kupfer guake conky-all xdotool wmctrl numlockx curl glipper lm-sensors hddtemp w3m ffmpeg keepassx artha p7zip-full p7zip-rar shutter gdebi vlc smplayer cairo-clock gnote gcolor2 compizconfig-settings-manager sox libsox-fmt-all
    Last edited by stinkeye; September 25th, 2013 at 05:51 AM.

Beans

A good idea thanks for that .