Thread: Bonobo Extreme (bonx7): is it worth it?

Beans

Bonobo Extreme (bonx7): is it worth it?

Hello folks! I've been meaning to buy a computer preinstalled with ubuntu, and right now, the bonx7 (bonobo extreme) by system 76 seems the right choice. However, I keep reading everywhere that is really glitchy sometimes and wifi won't work, and keyboard won't, and the touchpad stinks, but I'm not sure if this is the minority of bonobo users, a few unlucky people, or the majority, and I just want to make sure I'm not taking a dive into a shark tank by buying the bonobo. Basically; has the bonobo been worth it for you guys?

Beans

Re: Bonobo Extreme (bonx7): is it worth it?

The clickpad is definitely problematic. System76 will tell you they've fixed the problems through driver updates, but you can read even in these forums where those "fixes" have not actually addressed the problems. The wifi issue is sort of hit-and-miss with all laptops right now, it seems. Intel drivers, even on Windows, seem to have been totally botched for the recent generation of chips. That may be fixed with older or newer kernels than 13.04 ships with, I don't know.

What are you looking to use the machine for? If you want a desktop replacement that can play games, the Inspiron 17R SE is a great choice for less money than a "gaming" laptop (which is mostly just a marketing distinction). I haven't had any issues with wireless on the 17R SE, nor have I read about people having them. If you want a super-powered gaming rig, Alienware tends to work well with Linux, and you'll save money over the Bonobo. It also has discrete mouse buttons, so the clickpad behavior on the Bonobo won't be an issue. You'll also get much better sound and display than you'd get with the Bonobo.

Beans

Talking Re: Bonobo Extreme (bonx7): is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by rorschachwalter View Post
    The clickpad is definitely problematic. System76 will tell you they've fixed the problems through driver updates, but you can read even in these forums where those "fixes" have not actually addressed the problems. The wifi issue is sort of hit-and-miss with all laptops right now, it seems. Intel drivers, even on Windows, seem to have been totally botched for the recent generation of chips. That may be fixed with older or newer kernels than 13.04 ships with, I don't know.

What are you looking to use the machine for? If you want a desktop replacement that can play games, the Inspiron 17R SE is a great choice for less money than a "gaming" laptop (which is mostly just a marketing distinction). I haven't had any issues with wireless on the 17R SE, nor have I read about people having them. If you want a super-powered gaming rig, Alienware tends to work well with Linux, and you'll save money over the Bonobo. It also has discrete mouse buttons, so the clickpad behavior on the Bonobo won't be an issue. You'll also get much better sound and display than you'd get with the Bonobo.
    Thanks! It's a shame about the bonobo, but the inspiron 17R se looks great. I looked it up, and apparently it's so great it's out of stock, so I'm going to check back in a few days. About Alienware, it was my original choice for a computer, but I heard it has a lot of issues with ubuntu, like sound issues, but I'm going to re-research the whole alienware ubuntu thing. Thanks again, I'm really really glad you told me this! Also, I saw the XPS 15, which looks totally epic too, but it wasn't on the ubuntu certified list, but then again, the XPS 13 is, and a lot of computers that work with ubuntu aren't on the ubuntu certified list. It plays blu-ray, and I'm not sure if that would work in ubuntu.

Also, just as a side note, if I got a computer that came as windows and I wanted to switch too ubuntu, would the windows code thing and disc come with the computer, so I could use to run windows on vmware?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by aramiszepeda; September 23rd, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aramiszepeda View Post
    if I got a computer that came as windows and I wanted to switch too ubuntu, would the windows code thing and disc come with the computer, so I could use to run windows on vmware?
    Dell I think is now including a recovery service that allows you to create an installer image that can be put on a DVD or USB drive, so that would probably work for what you're looking for. I think Windows 8 has a built-in utility to create a recovery drive, and I think that should work on whatever machine you buy (if it comes with Windows 8, at least). You're unlikely to get physical media from any company nowadays, since they expect you to just use the included recovery partition.

At any rate, you should be fine no matter what so long as you copy the recovery partition to another drive before you start messing around with things, just in case.

EDIT:

So it seems that Dell, perhaps just in the last day, updated their website to reflect their new offering -- they've discontinued (apparently) the old 17R SE in favor of a new 17R. The new 17R has 1080p display (just like the old 17R SE), and seems to be upgraded all around otherwise. The only thing definitely lacking is the option of discrete graphics. So, you could go with the 15R SE (still available, has discrete graphics), or you could pick up an old 17R SE from the Dell outlet (used machines). There's no way the new 17R's integrated graphics will handle any real modern gaming, although Team Fortress would probably play just fine.
    Last edited by rorschachwalter; September 23rd, 2013 at 04:53 AM.

Beans

So I looked up the 15R SE, and it also looks very good, but also looked up how it works with ubuntu, and apparently it's very hard to install, if not impossible. I'm going to keep looking around to see what I can find, but thanks again for the help

Beans

The touchpad is the worst abomination of a touchpad I've ever used in almost 20 years of laptops. It is near impossible to do a right-click. If I had been able to try the touchpad before buying the machine, I wouldn't have gotten it. I use it on my lap, so a wireless mouse isn't an option.

Other than that, it has been a very solid desktop replacement laptop running Mint. I haven't had any wifi problems. Two minor annoyances that deserve mention are the length of the power cord after it comes out of the power brick headed to the laptop--it's a foot or two too short. The other is that the keyboard lights do not come back on after a suspend unless you toggle the hotkey back on again. I don't know if that's a distro problem or a BIOS problem.

EDIT: You say bonx7... to be fair, mine is, I think, the bonx6. If there is a refresh, then my review may not apply.
    Last edited by robjective; September 30th, 2013 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added edit

Beans

The clickpad is definitely problematic. System76 will tell you they've fixed the problems through driver updates, but you can read even in these forums where those "fixes" have not actually addressed the problems.
    I'm using a galago ultrapro, and the clickpad was buggy at first, but I can confirm that the latest driver update definitely solved the jumping cursor issue for me... So give driver updates a bit of credit, because they might actually solve those issues.
    Last edited by Matt12334; September 30th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

The new 17R has 1080p display (just like the old 17R SE), and seems to be upgraded all around otherwise.
    The 17R has 1600x900 graphics. See

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17...piron-17r-5737

Seems like a non-starter to me if you're getting a 17" monitor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    The 17R has 1600x900 graphics.
    Ah, yeah, the cheapest setup is only 1600x900. I should have clarified: Whereas you had to get a "special edition" before to get 1080p, it's now available as an option on the regular 17R (obviously for a bit more cash, but it's an option, and makes the 17-inch display much more feasible).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread has been closed due to Off-Topic, non-support related discussion. Please move these conversations to a more appropriate venue.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!