Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding up the Boot time

Beans

Speeding up the Boot time

HI,
    I have been using Ubuntu for the past 1 year.The booting time of the system is about 3mins.I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.What should I do to boost up the booting time???

Beans

Re: Speeding up the Boot time

That is a pretty long boot time... what are your hardware specs? Also, do you have any programs automatically loading on startup?

Theres also a util http://www.bootchart.org/ available to give you a heads up as to what is taking that long to load.

Beans

Here is my boot chart.......
    Can I make it fast....
    I am running a intel i3 HP laptop with 2GB ram....
    Boot time is about 1.16min.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vicke4; September 23rd, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That boot chart is unreadable, but I was able to pull of your specs, which are quite good.
    Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)* Up to 2.93 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
    Intel Core i5-480M Processor (2.66 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
    Up to 3.18GHz Turbo Boost Technology
    Intel Core i3-370M Processor (2.4 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
    Intel Core i3-350M Processor (2.26 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)*
    ---
    Integrated graphic:s (HP ProBook 4520s only)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Microsoft DirectX 10 capable
    Discrete graphics: (HP ProBook 4720s only)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics controller with 512 MB dedicated video memory
    Microsoft DirectX 11 capable
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 graphics controller with 1GB dedicated video memory
    Microsoft DirectX 11 capable
    Regardless of what cpu or graphics you have, maybe BIOS settings need attention. Did you load any video drivers?

Beans

One immediate suggestion would be to purchase (if possible) more RAM. Though the minimum requirements for ubuntu say 512mb, things such as integrated graphics are going to eat up at least as much again, leaving your system low on memory regularly.

4gb of DDR3 RAM will run you about 35 bucks on newegg, and more than pay for itself if the system you are using gets anything more than light use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I never could read boot charts, but do look at log files. If some process in log file takes a long time, repeats and either then works or fails are then things to review.

gksu gedit /var/dmesg

My SSD shows 12.5 sec and this is a 7 year old dual core system. When booting from hard drive it is closer to 40 sec.

type of entries to review:

[ 3.715003] usbhid: USB HID core driver
    [ 5.612536] EXT4-fs (sdd3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    [ 7.924725] Adding 3076412k swap on /dev/sdc11. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:3076412k
    I have found mounting partitions is slow, especially if they need chkdsk (NTFS) or fsck (ext4).
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yes my lap is HP probook 4520s with intel integrated graphics...
    Follow this link for readable bootchart.....

http://www.imagebam.com/image/cb494c277687642

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XBNCPRk View Post
    One immediate suggestion would be to purchase (if possible) more RAM. Though the minimum requirements for ubuntu say 512mb, things such as integrated graphics are going to eat up at least as much again, leaving your system low on memory regularly.

4gb of DDR3 RAM will run you about 35 bucks on newegg, and more than pay for itself if the system you are using gets anything more than light use.
    Thanks for you response friend I will buy one as early as possible....

Beans

Theres a 5 second gap at the very start of your boot chart that says wait-for-root, which Im pretty sure is just the computer waiting for you to decide if you want to enter grub.

Depending on how comfortable you are with editing your grub.cfg file, you can immediately shave that 5 seconds off by changing the GRUB_TIMEOUT= parameter. You can still access grub if need be, but for single-boot systems its pretty rare for the average user to need to access it at all IMO.

On a related note, assuming this is a single boot (only one operating system) setup, did you leave part of the hard drive formatted as ntfs when you installed ubuntu? or reformat to ext3/4?
    Last edited by XBNCPRk; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by XBNCPRk View Post
    Theres a 5 second gap at the very start of your boot chart that says wait-for-root, which Im pretty sure is just the computer waiting for you to decide if you want to enter grub.

Depending on how comfortable you are with editing your grub.cfg file, you can immediately shave that 5 seconds off by changing the GRUB_TIMEOUT= parameter. You can still access grub if need be, but for single-boot systems its pretty rare for the average user to need to access it at all IMO.
    Yes I know I have a dualboot system so I need to have that 5 second delay.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast