Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time Lubuntu user!

Beans

Re: First time Lubuntu user!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    You don't actually have a dedicated graphics card. The 7540D is a graphics subsystem integrated into your CPU without dedicated VRAM. This makes it a rather underpowered graphics performer and is likely the cause of your lagging when you drag windows around on your desktop. Downloading, compiling and installing the latest graphics driver from AMD might squeeze out a smidgeon more performance, but unless you know how to recover, the process is fraught with pitfalls and can hose your display. It's probably not worth the risk for the relatively limited reward. I suspect that the graphics performance you currently have is about the maximum performance you are likely to get.
    Just an anecdotal counterpoint though. I just installed the latest AMD drivers for the desktop HD 6xxx series PCIe cards on 10.10 and both installation and use were trouble free! A bit amazing a driver compiled just a few months ago still works with a kernel and system dating back three years!

To get snapshot of current GPU clock rate, load and temperature, try:
    Code:
    aticonfig --odgc --odgt
    or for ongoing updates, do:
    Code:
    watch aticonfig --odgc --odgt
    These commands may not return any results for an integrated chip, so don't be surprised if they don't work for you. If they do, then at least you have a temp reading without lm-sensors.
    Here I have the fglrx from the repos installed on 13.10, and the above command gives:
    Code:
    No layout section was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
    Please run 'aticonfig --initial' first or modify your configuration file manually and run aticonfig again.
    However the Catalyst Control Center does correctly display my graphics card and says the driver is installed. Should I take the risk of invoking 'aticonfig --install'?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yuvanesh View Post
    ... i wanted to monitor temperatures as i use applications. ....
    Why don't you explore the options that come with Lubuntu? I use a temp monitor and a CPU usage monitor to keep tabs on applications. You can find these monitors if you have lxpanel installed (which it should be in a default Lubuntu).

Here is an oldish but largely valid read about it: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html

One image is of the tab that allows you to add monitors and the other is an image of what mine look like: 53 is some temperature (I'm assuming it's that of the cpu) and the CPU % is currently 1.52%. I see a good correlation between temperature and CPU usage and so I feel the temperature is relevant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Why don't you explore the options that come with Lubuntu? I use a temp monitor and a CPU usage monitor to keep tabs on applications. You can find these monitors if you have lxpanel installed (which it should be in a default Lubuntu).

Here is an oldish but largely valid read about it: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html

One image is of the tab that allows you to add monitors and the other is an image of what mine look like: 53 is some temperature (I'm assuming it's that of the cpu) and the CPU % is currently 1.52%. I see a good correlation between temperature and CPU usage and so I feel the temperature is relevant.
    I selected the "Temperature Monitor" in the list that pops up when I click the Add button in Panel Applets tab of Panel Preferences. However it shows -273 as the temperature by default, and that too in fluorescent green on light grey background making it difficult to read. See the screenshot of it below, with it's Settings control opened. Apparently the user needs to set all the temperature values...

2013-09-22-211015_1280x720_scrot.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    I selected the "Temperature Monitor" in the list that pops up when I click the Add button in Panel Applets tab of Panel Preferences. However it shows -273 as the temperature by default, and that too in fluorescent green on light grey background making it difficult to read. See the screenshot of it below, with it's Settings control opened. Apparently the user needs to set all the temperature values...

2013-09-22-211015_1280x720_scrot.jpg
    Santosh, that's a problem reported by some users. There was a thread about it a while ago. I'll try and dig out the link although there didn't seem to be a solution; it works on some systems and not on others

Here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2148296
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    ...I just installed the latest AMD drivers for the desktop HD 6xxx series PCIe cards on 10.10 and both installation and use were trouble free! A bit amazing a driver compiled just a few months ago still works with a kernel and system dating back three years!
    Are you referring to the driver from the Ubuntu repos or did you install the one from the AMD site? I installed a bleeding edge (at the time) 7970 on a new system at the beginning of the year and had to install the corresponding bleeding edge drivers directly from AMD. This involves not only compiling the driver, but the addition of dkms and related apps so that every kernel update wouldn't hose my video driver. The process is complex, especially for new users, and almost always leads to problems unless you know exactly what you are doing. It was this process that I was referring to as not worth the risk.

In contrast, the drivers in the Ubuntu repos have usually been tested by the Ubuntu team to ensure compatibility with a number of different versions, so it's no surprise that they work well even with older versions and kernels. They also update automatically with apt-get update because they are supported by the update team. Problem is, they are not bleeding edge and will sometimes not work optimally with the latest HW.

As a rule, I recommend staying with the repo version of drivers unless the video card is so new that the repo version just doesn't work. The OP had already installed the--presumably latest--proprietary fglrx driver from the repos, so the only further step available to him was the bleeding edge driver directly from AMD.

Going off topic, just a note that 10.10 has reached end of life. You may wish to upgrade versions to continue covering yourself on the security front.
    Here I have the fglrx from the repos installed on 13.10, and the above command gives:
    Code:
    No layout section was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
    Please run 'aticonfig --initial' first or modify your configuration file manually and run aticonfig again.
    However the Catalyst Control Center does correctly display my graphics card and says the driver is installed. Should I take the risk of invoking 'aticonfig --install'?
    I believe what you mean is "aticonfig --initial". This command generates a generic ati-compatible xorg.conf file if one doesn't already exist. There is a very remote possibility that such a process could render your DE unstartable. You should still be able to log in to the CLI, so it is good practice to backup your old xorg.conf file before running the command. If you choose to run it, you will need to run it with sudo because you will be changing a system file and will need root privilges to do so.

The decision to run it is yours. If the new xorg.conf file hoses your X environment, you can always delete it and restore the backup. If you are comfortable with this restoration process, then I see the risk as being minimal. I'm happy monkeying around with my video system even for the sake of enabling marginally useful info like GPU temp, but then, I have a reasonable confidence in my ability to recover. Every user has different risk tolerance and recovery knowledge, so this decision varies with individual circumstance. Only you can determine if reward is worth the risk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Are you referring to the driver from the Ubuntu repos or did you install the one from the AMD site? I installed a bleeding edge (at the time) 7970 on a new system at the beginning of the year and had to install the corresponding bleeding edge drivers directly from AMD. This involves not only compiling the driver, but the addition of dkms and related apps so that every kernel update wouldn't hose my video driver. The process is complex, especially for new users, and almost always leads to problems unless you know exactly what you are doing. It was this process that I was referring to as not worth the risk.
    I downloaded the Catalyst 13.4 driver from this page, and simply unpacked and ran it:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...2&lang=English

I had to do this because the fglrx in 10.10's repos did not detect my HD 6670 card, possibly because the card is a new model while 10.10 and it's fglrx are ~3 years old.
    I simply clicked through the GUI installer, accepted the license and selected all components in custom install and everything completed without a hitch, and cccle also reports the driver and graphics card correctly.
    This was what surprised me... that AMD's latest stable driver (released May 2013) for my card installs and works smoothly on 10.10!

In contrast, the drivers in the Ubuntu repos have usually been tested by the Ubuntu team to ensure compatibility with a number of different versions, so it's no surprise that they work well even with older versions and kernels. They also update automatically with apt-get update because they are supported by the update team. Problem is, they are not bleeding edge and will sometimes not work optimally with the latest HW. As a rule, I recommend staying with the repo version of drivers unless the video card is so new that the repo version just doesn't work.
    Which is exactly my issue since the fglrx in 10.10's repository simply doesn't detect my HD 6670 card, falling back to VESA and software rendering. That's why I went to AMD's site to begin with.

I believe what you mean is "aticonfig --initial". This command generates a generic ati-compatible xorg.conf file if one doesn't already exist. There is a very remote possibility that such a process could render your DE unstartable. You should still be able to log in to the CLI, so it is good practice to backup your old xorg.conf file before running the command. If you choose to run it, you will need to run it with sudo because you will be changing a system file and will need root privilges to do so.
    Where is the x11.conf file on Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 13.10 anyway? I don't see any such file in /etc or /etc/X11... A system wide search from PCManFM also fails to find any such file...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@santosh83 - please do not hijack threads - you are talking about an unreleased version for one thing - post in http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427 for your issue.
    Last edited by Elfy; September 22nd, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Beans

Hello, Yep i'm aware that its an apu and that performance wise it isn't fantastic. I did spend some time researching and i got that cpu because it was shown to be able to handle low to medium settings for the average game especially on lower resolutions. I believe on the average tv the resolution is lower then pc monitors. I've set up everything else, xbmc is very smooth. I have no issues whatsoever with anything else. I'll try the commands in the cli and post back on the results. Thank you .

* I actually had a spare i7-960 pc sitting around with a vapor 5770, 16gb of ram and some high end gaming motherboard blah blah. I sold it off for aud$900 to build this for $700. I know it sounds dumb, but that pc was being under utilized and i felt that someone else would put better use to it. And i wanted to build my own htpc from scratch that was low powered and specifically designed for me to mess around and learn new things. (i know amd consumes more power then intel, but i just couldnt resist getting an amd processor). Apologise for the digression ,but i'm still so damn excited about this project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A6 and A8 shoudl be well supported. I think A10 has some issues.

which is why thi sis a bit strange. i wonder if your issues exist in another desktop. note that KDE draws differently and uses different set of libraries.so might be worth a try, just to see if same problems exist there.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

On ubuntu i tried switching to xfce, and kde but still has extreme tearing. On lubuntu other then the fact that dragging windows around shows signs of lag its perfect. From what i have read, it seems that the latest fglrx drivers has a bug. Still trying to figure it out but the only gpu intensive action will be movie playbacks which i have tested and is very smooth.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast