Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Beans

Re: Galago ultrapro keyboard fixed with metal plate?

Quote Originally Posted by francesco-gelli90 View Post
    Please guy, let me know if they really fixed it..I would buy it, but I am really perplexed about the keyboard issue..
    If I order it in the next days, will the keybord be alright? Or will I have to ask for the metal plate? (I live in Italy, so that would be disappointing)
    I haven't understand if the fix they spoke of is only the adding of the metal plate, or if they did some other better fix (In the official page they say: "confortable keyboard and clickpad" ...is this about the fix or its really a bad joke? )
    Yes. The keyboard issues are all fixed. See my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by beru2 View Post
    Hey guys, my galago just arrived today, and I've been using it for a few hours: no keyboard problems at all, so far. I'm pretty happy with the purchase, it's a wonderful machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Any new orders would ship with the fixed keyboard (which includes hand-built movement in addition to the metal plate, and totally fixes the issues).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I just got my replacement, 6 days after I requested it. Replacing it was easy: I just followed the included directions, using the included screwdriver. After 30 minutes with it, I'm happy to say that it appears to be everything Carl claimed. It's registered every keystroke, and has a light enough touch that it doesn't mess up my timing like the last one did. I haven't tested every key yet, but the ones I've tested respond to light touches in corners as well as centers.

I love my Galago again. Yay!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Any new orders would ship with the fixed keyboard (which includes hand-built movement in addition to the metal plate, and totally fixes the issues).
    isantop, is this 3rd keyboard revision to the Galago Ultra Pro made by Clevo or by system76?

Beans

I received the "replacement" keyboard but guess what. The screwdriver they provided cannot open one of the 2 screws on the back panel as provided in the instructions. That 1 scew is really pushed inside the panel and I have struggled to un-scew it yet. I am really furstrated as a customer and to be honest, why cannot they send recent customers a new laptop wkth the latest keyboard already installed. I have not even bought my laptop for 2 weeks. This is ridiculous and completely un-acceptable. I highly recommend NOT BUYING THIS LAPTOP at all. WHy go through the pain of replacing stuff ? Why cannot they just recall faulty ones and send a new one ? This is seriously annoying. If you are reading this and still considering buying this laptop, I suggest save your money for something else. Not worth the time and hassle. Completely ridiculous.

Beans

They just responded to my ticket saying this

"I do apologize, but we couldn't send you a replacement machine.

if you'd like I can have you send both the keyboard and machine in and we can replace this for you."

Now I don't trust them frankly. I am going to call my credit card company and do a chargeback unless they re-imburse me for the shipping. Such a disappointed customer.
    Last edited by yashchandra; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

Beans

I'll just chime in here to say that I just installed the replacement keyboard and it's like night and day - no problems with missed strokes at all. Orders of magnitude better - I'm now a happy Galago owner.

Regarding the complaints about installation above, I'll just add my experience - it was indeed a bit difficult to get one of the screws out - was pretty tight - but not impossible after some effort and pressure. (I also didn't even notice they sent me a screwdriver - I just used my own. You can buy a set of computer-screw sized screwdrivers at Staples or OfficeMax for fairly cheap.)

Beans

Well, one of the screws on the bottom that the instructions say to remove was actually not screwed through the case for me. Instead, I could see it through the hole that it was only screwed inside. Basically, I would have had to remove the whole bottom to get to it. BUT, I just removed the screw that I could get to and went forward with the keyboard replacement. It turns out that only one screw was holding the keyboard in (the one I could get to without removing the bottom of the case). So, if anyone has that same problem, you should only have to remove one screw on the bottom of the case. The one I didn't need to remove also had a little clear rubber stopper thing covering it, so that is another way to tell. The new keyboard is fantastic, by the way.
    Last edited by keith5; December 5th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Beans

I just put in the third gen keyboard. Much much better. The second gen one really made not much of a difference, this one's an entire different story. Keys are much firmer, pressure points a lot better. Good move, System76.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spammermattic2000 View Post
    Props to system76 for that. My Galago is only a month or so old, and has no flex in the keyboard so i assume it already has the metal plate modded keyboard. does this mean this is a NEW new keyboard design? Hopefully it fixes the "keys not registering unless hit square in the middle" problem which is plaguing so many users. I'll report back when I receive mine in a few weeks.
    Recieved new (rev 3, as people are calling it) keyboard today, and installed. Its a vast vast improvement on the rev2 keyboard that shipped with my galago. You can now hit keys on the edge and the keypress registers correctly, and the keys now have a slightly more pronounced/firmer pressing resistance/click/feedback (the rev2 keyboard keypresses had almost no feedback, you couldnt tell if the key pressed or not). First impressions are very good. My accuracy has improved back to that of a normal good keyboard.

This was the one show-stopper problem with the Galago Ultrapro, and System76 have now completely addressed it. Well done and thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234