Thread: Help booting to SD Card

Question Help booting to SD Card

So I installed XBMCbuntu 12.2 (Intel-Nvidia) on my 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card on my Samsung NP-N310 netbook. It installed successfully (from a USB drive that I booted into) but I soon realized that there is not option in the BIOS to boot to the SD Card. The BIOS is up-to-date.

I found a great post here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11915401

The problem is that it does not go into details. I booted into Linux Secure Remix 13.0.4 from another USB drive and had my other drive ready to boot into. I got to Step I, #5:
    Add the required modules to support the SD-card at the start of Linux (after GRUB 2 passes over the control)
    Edit the file Code:
    Code:
    /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
    by adding these module names:
    (On other hardware/Linux the required modules might differ For my system with Ubuntu 12.04 these modules have done the job.)
    Code:
    Code:
    mmc_block
    sdmod
    Is that path for the Linux Secure Remix or my SD Card? How can I edit it with gedit in the right permissions? What about all of the other paths in the post?

I noticed that at that path on both the SD Card and Linux Secure Remix had another SD Card-related line that acted as an example (commented out):
    Code:
    #raid1
    #sd_mod
    Should I use "sd_mod", "sdmod", or both?

Also, what exactly is the "Alternative Solution" referring to? Lastly, how do I do some of the other [more complicated] things said in the post?

Thanks for any help!
    I would have posted this on that thread, but it was closed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help booting to SD Card

Try both alternatives (one of them each time)! Let us hope one of them works

Post Re: Help booting to SD Card

Thanks, but I can't do anything until I know what that path is referring to and how to edit it correctly. Please re-read my entire post.

Lightbulb Re: Help booting to SD Card

I'm starting to think... Is this really worth the trouble? Should I just get a USB SDHC Card Reader?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Help booting to SD Card

If you want fast booting from removable media, please consider a USB 3 pendrive. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites