Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Error: unknown file system with new motherboard

Beans

Error: unknown file system with new motherboard

Using 13.04 ubuntu. Got a new motherboard and at first startup my /home partition was not able to be mounted. Rebooted and now the error I get is error: unknown file system then goes to grub rescue.

Thought I'd try live cd only it gets to the Ubuntu splash screen and hangs there. Various configs in bios, used other hard drives, and still same result with live cd. What am I not doing right?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Error: unknown file system with new motherboard

Are the hard drives you are using from the old motherboard? If so, then maybe check if you have correct drivers for the new board.
    Last edited by VMC; September 21st, 2013 at 02:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Check AHCI or RAID settings in the BIOS, turn them back to IDE if you can and see if that helps.

Check the RAM to make sure it is functioning without errors with MEMTEST.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Yes, same hard drives from the old motherboard. Not quite sure how to load new, correct drivers when I'm having issues with getting anything to boot up correctly.

I did upgrade the BIOS, but same issue.

Beans

i was able to set it to native IDE, but still nothing.
    I did notice one thing though - UEFI and Legacy boot options. I have it set to UEFI AND LEGACY - would this change anything?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Old drives probably would be legacy. New system will be UEFI with BIOS compatibility mode (CSM) so it should boot in BIOS mode. But you have to choose that from UEFI menu.

What video are you now using, Intel internal or new video card? That may make for issues.
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2 - both BIOS liveCD & grub first boot ( also UEFI with grub)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

How new is system? Some Haswell with internal video need other settings also.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

only did legacy and helped dvd drive but not the hd. No onboard video, using video card from other mobo. Did f6 option, used nomodeset and gets me to Ubuntu desktop but freezes there now.

Beans

Now that you can at least get to the desktop...that's good. If your system is locking up, it could be video related. Are you using the same video card as was in your old system, if not you may have to reconfigure from safe boot.
    VIZ: If you had the nVidia drivers installed and are now using a non-nVidea card for example

Beans

yes, same video card as in other system. Right when the Ubuntu desktop appears, system freezes, no keyboard or mouse usage.
    How do I go about resolving a driver issue if I can't get to desktop?

Beans

Since you are using the same video card then it is probably not a video driver problem.
    You can open a terminal by hitting control-alt F4 and log in from there. You can still use sudo apt-get to uninstall packages such as your nVidia driver then retest.
    Linux usually reconfigures itself pretty well to new H/W but it's possible you will need to reinstall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast