Thread: Ubuntu Tablet and TV

Beans

Ubuntu Tablet and TV

Does anyone know when these are being released? I read on their website that you could sign up to by notified by email when the tablet will be released, But I would like an approximate time about how long they think until it will be out. I don't exactly want a google product (Android), just straight Linux/Ubuntu.
    Also, can I buy a Smart TV, with Ubuntu TV pre-loaded on it, or do I have to install it myself after buying a Smart TV?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Tablet and TV

There is no point in asking questions like these. Even if you were asking the right people, which you are not, they would not tell you because any discussions between Canonical and an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) are covered by confidentiality agreements. This is business after all. You would not want to spoil the big publicity announcement, would you?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Ok. What about the tv question?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That is the same question. I dont think we will be seeing Ubuntu TVs in a long, long, long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu TV isn't dead yet, but I think it will be totally abandoned soon. You can't install it onto an existing TV, these consumer electronics projects are intended for OEMs to preinstall.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.