Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 laptop - Screen turns off during startup, and doesn't turn back on

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 laptop - Screen turns off during startup, and doesn't turn back on

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. I'm running 12.04 on an ASUS laptop, and right now I'm using the CD that I used to install it. I don't have Windows on here, because I was just so sick of it, so I made the switch. It was working very well for me until last night.

Normally I just let my laptop hibernate, rather than restarting it, so I don't know when the problem arose. Recently I was trying to install Stepmania, and PlayOnLinux/Wine so that I could use iTunes. I also did some of the Ubuntu updates. I thought that I had better restart, because I hadn't turned my computer off in a while. After restarting, though, it doesn't work anymore.

I press the power button, and it shows the ASUS startup screen. Then it shows a blinking _ in the top left corner, before the screen completely shuts off. If I press the power button again, the screen turns on again just in time for me to see the Ubuntu shut down screen, with the dots that turn red one by one. I've tried turning it on a few times, and I can press F2 which takes me to a blue screen with the boot options and such. Another time I was pressing random buttons, and it somehow took me to the terminal which let me log in using my username and password, but I don't know what (if anything) I need to do from there. I also tried pressing shift to get to GRUB and starting in recovery mode, but it just brought me to a screen with options that I don't understand. I tried the boot options from there, though (I think one was a regular startup, and one was a graphics failsafe mode), and my screen turned off again both times.

Any advice for how to fix it? Or should I just get my files on an external hard drive and re-install, if that would be easiest? I'd like to avoid that if possible, because I don't want to have to reinstall my favorite programs one by one, but I'll do it if I have to. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 laptop - Screen turns off during startup, and doesn't turn back on

Hello!

Could you give us some more details on your hardware, particularly the graphics, whether you were using a proprietary driver and how you installed it?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 laptop - Screen turns off during startup, and doesn't turn back on

Hello

I'll just copy and paste it from the website where I bought my laptop. I'm not sure what you mean by proprietary driver - I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 using the CD, and everything just worked from there, so I didn't have to install anything for the graphics.

Sorry if this is a lot of irrelevant information here... Thanks for any help you can give me.

Model

BrandASUSModelX55CRF-HPD111F

General

ColorBlackCPU TypeIntel Pentium B980 2.4GHzScreen15.6"Memory Size4GBHard Disk500GBOptical DriveDVD±R/RWGraphics CardIntel HD GraphicsVideo MemoryShared memoryCommunicationLAN and WLANWeight5.6 lbs.

CPU

CPU TypeIntel PentiumCPU SpeedB980(2.4GHz)

Display

Screen Size15.6"Wide Screen SupportYes

Operating Systems

Operating SystemWindows 8 64-Bit

Graphics

GPU/VPUIntel HD GraphicsVideo MemoryShared system memoryGraphic TypeIntegrated Card

Hard Drive

HDD500GBHDD RPM5400rpm

Memory

Memory4GB

Optical Drive

Optical Drive TypeDVD±R/RW

Communications

LAN10/100MbpsWLAN802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN