Thread: Live boot on a Macbook pro

Beans

Live boot on a Macbook pro

Hi!

My girlfriend's macbook pro no longer boot, so I would like to use a live CD to at least check the state of the hard drive and do a backup before some genius touches it. The macbook was bought in 2008, in case it could help you...

I tried booting with ubuntu 12.04.3 AMD+mac (an iso I found on the website) and an old 10.04-64 bits CD I found in my stuff. The first menu appears when I press spacebar, with options like "try without installing", "install", "...". I choose to try without installing, and then it seems to go nowhere. Still nothing after an hour, except maybe a flashing underscore line in the top left corner.

Anyone has a clue what is going wrong? Maybe another distro would work better?

Thank you very much!

Beans

Boot a macbookpro with live CD

Hi!

My girlfriend's macbook pro no longer boot, so I would like to use a live CD to at least check the state of the hard drive and do a backup before some genius touches it. The macbook was bought in 2008, in case it could help you...

I tried booting with ubuntu 12.04.3 AMD+mac (an iso I found on the website) and an old 10.04-64 bits CD I found in my stuff. The first menu appears when I press spacebar, with options like "try without installing", "install", "...". I choose to try without installing, and then it seems to go nowhere. Still nothing after an hour, except maybe a flashing underscore line in the top left corner.

Anyone has a clue what is going wrong? Maybe another distro would work better?

Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Boot a macbookpro with live CD

It could be a graphics problem.
    When the purple screen appears press F6 and look to the bottom right of the screen. There are about 6 boot options, one of which will be "nomodeset". Try that one first and see if it will boot to the desktop.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Live boot on a Macbook pro

Try the nomodeset boot option by pressing F6.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Nice, now it works with the "nomodeset" option! But, ubuntu doesn't seem to view the hard drive. Is there any package that must be installed so a mac partition could be detected, or does it mean it is dead for good...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's a start
    Not sure about that but I don't think so.
    Do you mean Ubuntu can't read the OSX file system or do you mean Ubuntu just doesn't see the drive at all?
    If it's the latter I fear the drive could be dead.

EDIT
    It might be worth checking that the Mac's hard drive is properly connected.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Success!!!

But, ubuntu doesn't seem to see the hard drive. Does it mean it is dead for good? Or do i need to install some package so the mac partition (hence, all the hard drive) becomes visible to ubuntu?

Beans

In gparted, for example, it says "No devices detected". The drive doesn't seem to be detected at all. Sounds bad to me...

Maybe I should begin considering some open heart surgery on her computer...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hmm, I suspect so. Not being detected at all can't be good.
    Might be worth a look inside but don't trash it, it could still be worth money!
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please do not create multiple threads on the same subject, I have merged your two threads.