Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: have to give password and WEP key all the time

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Thumbs down have to give password and WEP key all the time

    i know nothing and should not be using Ubuntu but the machine was donated so here i am. no one i know here in Mexico can help much either but i've done ok for 3 years with what help i can get which includes this forum.

    ever since i upgraded to 12.04 i have had to give my password at every start up. that is annoying but i put up with it.

    3 days ago the power went off in this town for a few seconds, then came back on. since then, i have been asked for my WEP key at startup and even waking up the machine. this is super annoying. the field where i type the key usually but not always has a report icon (triangle with an exclamation point).

    as of this afternoon it will not accept the WEP key on waking up and i have to restart the machine, give my password and then the WEP key in order to connect with internet.

    and to confuse things further i often give the WEP and then have to cancel 3-5 other internet connections, and then the correct one with the WEP again before it will accept the WEP key and connect me.

    so i'm asking for help with:

    1) not having to give my password at start up

    2) not having to give the WEP all the time.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    I don't know about the wireless WEP, but right click the mouse on any part of the background, then go to User Accounts. Unlock your user then click "on" for the Automatic Login.

    Isn't WEP info coming from your router?
    Last edited by VMC; September 19th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Greece
    Beans
    60
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Can you create another user and see if there is a problem there? Afterwards write what happened. Create an administrator user preferably. You can try as well to delete all wireless connections stored in the menu network connections. Just type network connections in dash. Try to delete all passwords stored for this user by typing passowords in dash and opening the program "passwords and keys". Afterwards report here if the problem insists.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Quote Originally Posted by forestG View Post
    Can you create another user and see if there is a problem there? Afterwards write what happened. Create an administrator user preferably. You can try as well to delete all wireless connections stored in the menu network connections. Just type network connections in dash. Try to delete all passwords stored for this user by typing passowords in dash and opening the program "passwords and keys". Afterwards report here if the problem insists.
    i've done a search to find out what 'typing in dash' means but it makes no sense to me. am looking for 'passwords and keys' but haven't found it. is that 'key ring access'? it won't open.

    i have tried to fix this from user accounts many times. it does not save any changes i make and will not enable new accounts. it wants a password that i'm sure i never gave.

    i'll work on everything else later. thanks for your replies.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    7,765
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    You gave a password upon install.
    If you didn't install Ubuntu, then look over this to reset the password and set a new one.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

    To try and reset the wireless settings, try this
    In the top panel bar and the right side where all the icons are, should be an icon that looks like a radio signal, or a cone/triangle.
    Click on it and it should show a list of connections avaiable, and at the bottom it should say connection information and edit connections.
    Click on edit connections and a window should open up.
    Look to see if a listing for your wifi connection is there.
    Delete it. then close the window.
    Click on the radio/triangle symbol again and click on your wifi connection.
    (Make sure your connection was listed the first time)
    Then enter your wifi WEP password/passphrase/key(whatever it is)

    This applies to Ubuntu.
    If the layout I've describe is nothing like what you have, then you are running a different interface.
    If running a different interface, then please describe it as best you can.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    To try and reset the wireless settings, try this
    In the top panel bar and the right side where all the icons are, should be an icon that looks like a radio signal, or a cone/triangle.
    Click on it and it should show a list of connections avaiable, and at the bottom it should say connection information and edit connections.
    Click on edit connections and a window should open up.
    Look to see if a listing for your wifi connection is there.
    Delete it. then close the window.
    Click on the radio/triangle symbol again and click on your wifi connection.
    (Make sure your connection was listed the first time)
    Then enter your wifi WEP password/passphrase/key(whatever it is)

    This applies to Ubuntu.
    If the layout I've describe is nothing like what you have, then you are running a different interface.
    If running a different interface, then please describe it as best you can.
    yes i'm familiar with that area and can do that. swear to me that i won't lose my connection entirely.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You gave a password upon install.
    If you didn't install Ubuntu, then look over this to reset the password and set a new one.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
    i did not install it. the original 6 letter password works, i just get too many requests for it. that one box has 5 dots as the password. reset anyway?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I don't know about the wireless WEP, but right click the mouse on any part of the background, then go to User Accounts. Unlock your user then click "on" for the Automatic Login.

    Isn't WEP info coming from your router?
    ok tried that again. maybe i was leaving it unlocked? (i told you i'm ignorant). it seems to want a 5 letter password and the only password i ever used has 6. i'm not going to restart the compu (thats what they call it here ) until i have more of this squared away.

    about the router-- someone is going to have to explain that to me please. (i did look it up).
    Last edited by dulce2; September 19th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    7,765
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Deleting the entry in edit connections should have no effect in your connection.
    You can investigate the contents of the entry by clicking edit.
    After you delete the entry, clickong on your connections name again(in the dropdown list) and re entering the WEP stuff will generate a new one.

    As far as passwords go, if you can't unlock the user accounts with the existing password, then it doesn't work, or it doesn't have admin rights.
    You can easily find out if you have admin rights by using a terminal and simply enter "id" (without quotes).
    The admin rights would be listed as sudo, if that is listed then you have those rights.

    If you don't have those rights, then follow the link I supplied earlier and after resetting the password and before exiting for the user run this
    Code:
    adduser yourusername sudo
    this will add your user to the sudo group giving you admin rights.
    Then reboot.


    Added: the 5 dot password is generic.
    It simply means a password has been set.
    The actual password could be 100 characters long and it would still be 5 dots.
    Last edited by deadflowr; September 19th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    11

    Re: have to give password and WEP key all the time

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Deleting the entry in edit connections should have no effect in your connection.
    You can investigate the contents of the entry by clicking edit.
    After you delete the entry, clickong on your connections name again(in the dropdown list) and re entering the WEP stuff will generate a new one.

    As far as passwords go, if you can't unlock the user accounts with the existing password, then it doesn't work, or it doesn't have admin rights.
    You can easily find out if you have admin rights by using a terminal and simply enter "id" (without quotes).
    The admin rights would be listed as sudo, if that is listed then you have those rights.

    If you don't have those rights, then follow the link I supplied earlier and after resetting the password and before exiting for the user run this
    Code:
    adduser yourusername sudo
    this will add your user to the sudo group giving you admin rights.
    Then reboot.


    Added: the 5 dot password is generic.
    It simply means a password has been set.
    The actual password could be 100 characters long and it would still be 5 dots.
    ok there are still 3 extra names on the drop down menu but none in edit connections. it took my WEP and hooked up immediately.

    i'm embarrassed to say this-- i've used terminals before but i sure can't find one now in 12.04

    guess i'll restart and see where i'm at....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •