Thread: Upgrading Catalyst Driver Package

Beans

Upgrading Catalyst Driver Package

I am currently running AMD's Catalyst 12.9, and just downloaded the package for 13.8 beta, as I'm told it gives much better performance.

My question is there a special method for upgrading? Do I have to remove the old package before installing the new one? Any special considerations? I am making a clonezilla backup before I install, just in case.

Plenty of websites describe installation, and I've done it before, when I installed 12.9, but nobody really mentions what to do during an upgrade.

I appreciate any input.

In case it matters, here's my specs:

Asus M3A78-CM
    Phenom 9600 Quad core
    8gb Ram
    Sapphire AMD Radeon 7770 Ghz edition 1gb
    Last edited by zombienerd1; September 18th, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Upgrading Catalyst Driver Package

Hello!

If you installed the driver using the .run from AMD/ATI before, you need to uninstall it. It doesn't "upgrade". If you've done it before, it's is pretty straight forward:

Code:
    sudo amdconfig --uninstall
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    Reboot to the opensource driver.

Download the new .run and execute it.

Then

Code:
    sudo amdconfig --initial
    Reboot.

Make your adjustments in CCC.

Reboot.

By the way, if you don't know this: If you use the driver from the AMD/ATI website you should watch for kernel updates when you do your normal updates. If there are any, don't do the updates until you uninstall the driver and then reinstall it after you have done your updates. If you don't, the best you can hope for is no driver after you reboot. There is a high likelihood of a big mess in the worst case.

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Thanks much for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll keep an eye on kernel updates as well. I've only been running Ubuntu for a few months, I'm lucky I haven't had a kernel update yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombienerd1 View Post
    I am currently running AMD's Catalyst 12.9, and just downloaded the package for 13.8 beta
    You do know they released 13-9 today, right?